Zoloft + weight gain in 30/f

Options
Hey all!

I gained 15 lbs after being on Zoloft for about 8 months. I’ve just weaned off but am feeling discouraged in the lack of progress. I’d love some buddies (ideally female, athletic, seeking weight loss!) to team up with for motivation!

Say hey if it’s you! :)

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best motivated people arent always the athletic ones. Dont limit yourself to the potential anyone can bring to you
  • afuston92
    afuston92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good to hear I'm not the only one
  • MalbaJayne
    MalbaJayne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best motivated people arent always the athletic ones. Dont limit yourself to the potential anyone can bring to you

Not disparaging people who aren’t athletic, I’m just really hoping to connect with people who can relate!
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    Well I will tell you something about me.

I was on mfp a few years ago when I weighed 300 pounds... I spent two years and lost 165 pounds getting myself to 135lbs.

Now, long story short but I have an eating disorder so that was something I wasnt prepared to deal with like I thought I was and I've regained.

And while I've not bothered to do much so far except take my time and log this first month. The amount of knowledge on how calories work, how different foods, workouts and activities can effect the body and the 2 years of actual experience I've had of struggles and breaking barriers, didnt disappear just because right now I look like I cant relate.

The experience of me going from never running in my whole life to running beyond 5k still lives with me too.

I dont have to be running now to relate to another runner.

Just saying. You never know about people.
  • MalbaJayne
    Options
    Kriss, that’s amazing that you’ve made those kind of gains.

I’m a bit unclear why you’ve taking offense to my post. I’m an athlete struggling with weight gain. All the trainers I come across talk about breaking the weight gain cycle by beginning exercise slowly. That doesn’t apply to me, I can’t relate. My friends in the real world can’t relate. I’m seeking community online who can relate with my Specific experience - the title includes transparency about antidepressants in the title, for crying out loud!

Frankly, think you’re being quite unempathetic. I came here looking for community, not negativity and forum arguments. It’s very disappointing.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to seek out people with whom you have certain things in common. Some people will look for people of a similar age or family situation, for example, or a similar number of lbs to lose or a similar height.
    So looking for weight loss buddies who are preferably athletic seems just as valid as those other criteria.
    Which doesn't mean other people can't be good MFP friends to learn from, of course. It's hard to judge tone on the internet, I don't think KrissCanDoThis was being as harsh as you seem to interpret it.

I wouldn't class myself as athletic, but definitely not 'beginning to exercise' either.
    I jog a few times a week, I do some indoor rowing occasionally, and I would like to get back to strength training in the coming months. I've been on my weight loss journey since August last year, I've lost about 35lbs and hope to lose about 25 more. I'm not in a rush, slow and steady wins the race. Up to you if that's a good match :smile:
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I'm not offended?

And I'm not saying dont find those people, I'm just saying that there are also people out there who while may not fit into that cookie cutter scenario, also may have the ability to relate to you

I am aware that you are trying to find people on the same antidepressant that have lost the weight while on it and wanna see if it's possible.

I just didnt want you limiting your potential for having some amazing support from people who may not be able to offer you direct experience either.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    Anyway my apologies to you. I didnt mean to come off unsupportive, I just didnt want you maybe finding no one here, since it's dead here lately and feeling disappointed that you're the only one and by yourself still
  • MalbaJayne
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I wouldn't class myself as athletic, but definitely not 'beginning to exercise' either.
    I jog a few times a week, I do some indoor rowing occasionally, and I would like to get back to strength training in the coming months. I've been on my weight loss journey since August last year, I've lost about 35lbs and hope to lose about 25 more. I'm not in a rush, slow and steady wins the race. Up to you if that's a good match :smile:

Adding you as a friend! :)
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i have taken Zoloft for 20 years. Feel Free to add me
  • MalbaJayne
    Options
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    How long has it been since you quit Zoloft? I took Zoloft for about 1 year and gained about 20 lbs. But I was able to lose that weight after I got off the meds.

Are you counting calories.? Full on calorie counting works. But it takes time to get it up and running and takes time to work. Lots of folks wreck themselves over the time.

What’s full on calorie counting? Calculate a modest calorie deficit, start a food diary, use a food scale, crunch numbers, plan menus, problem solve as needed. And be patient. Lack of patience can undo the whole thing.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I know a bunch like that. Browse my friend list. I think it's open.