Gaining the COVID19...

Options
Ugh! Stress, boredom, monotony during quarantine has me snacking like fiend. I miss the structure of being in the office. Today begins Week 6 of being home and I have gained 10 pounds. Anyone else watching their weight go up? I know what to do, it’s just a matter of getting the motivation. Sorry...needed to rant...looking for comments to let me know I’m not alone!

Replies

• Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Me too.
  • yankocorrie85
    yankocorrie85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cant even look at the scale. 😭
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Me too!!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone!
    I hit a double whammy, time off exercise before surgery, then recovering from surgery. Weight up. No sooner released by surgeon to return to exercise, and my fitness studio closed due to Covid restriction. lol !!

Scale creeping up, feedbag constantly in place! OINK! Motivation stalled.

But, this too shall pass! Here's to better days.....
  • Slimontheeinside
    Slimontheeinside Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone in this! I have days where I'm so motivated to do things, then there are other days where I just sit and watch tv shows and eat snacks. This shall pass.
  • irishsalt
    irishsalt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I feel like my life's structure flew out the window.

I am a teacher and really miss having a more scheduled day. I was getting back on track post-Christmas, but between remote learning and having to quarantine, there's a whole lot of couch in my life right now. I easily slid right back to where I was and actually gained back more than I had lost. I am conscious of the fact that I should be trying to get moving at least once a day, but I just can't find the motivation :(
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I hear you!!! I am totally scared of the scale right now...😳
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you!!! Surgery in December, right before Christmas...ok’d to go back to the gym in February...quarantine in March!! I haven’t gained any but I haven’t lost any either.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yesss. The scale went up, and up, and I finally had enough. My bestie and I jumped back onto MFP to begin getting back into an exercise and better portion size regimen. I have about 30lbs to lose after baby #3, and lockdown didn’t help at all!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling all year but somehow maintaining. When all this stuff hit, I lost my job but was doing well. Extreme cutbacks made me a very careful spender which meant eating healthier meals at home.

Then, by a miracle, I got a new job and go to the office everyday. Then I started spending money and eating allllll the things. I've gained 12lbs in a month! I kept trying to reign it in, but I felt like I was just compulsively eating when I was getting home at 5pm and just had no motivation to stop.

Finally, yesterday, my accountability friend called me out (in a sweet, gentle way) and now we made a plan for getting through this and staying accountable!
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm up 7 lbs in 6 weeks due to stress eating/drinking..... whoops! Determined to do better. I've come to the realization that this isn't just going to go away, I HAVE to adapt and manage my stress in a healthier way. Otherwise I will just keep gaining weight. So I'm making some goals for May!! Goal#1: Lose > 5lbs of the Covid gain. Goal#2: Exercise > 3X / week using online videos. Goal#3: LESS drinking! No drinking on weeknights ( Mon-Thursday nights). My best friend and I are doing weekly weight check-ins and keeping eachother accountable. That helps alot!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Lockdown has done the opposite for us - hubby has lost 15lbs and I've lost 3.5 in the last 4 weeks - but then we decided we would get lots of DIY projects done around the house, that meant we were extra active every day but still eat basically like we always do (well obviously hubby ISN'T eating as much as before but that's because when he's at work there are usually an abundance of cakes and sweet treats around LOL).

My tip would be keep busy, divert yourself as much as possible from thinking of food even in the current circumstances and stick to eating the things you normally would.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Well... there might be a positive here that perhaps that 10lbs isnt actually 10lbs and the increase in food and decrease in activity has caused water retention.

Mathematically, you would need to eat 834 calories over your maintenance, every single day for 6 weeks to actually gain 10 pounds.

If the average person has a 1800 calorie maintenance let's say for giggles...

You would need to eat 2634 calories every day.

It's not an impossible calorie amount to hit, but you may not actually be as bad off as you think.

Keeping track of all your food is a sure fire way to know how many calories your consuming, even if you over eat. Track everything.

Water retention has a way of playing with our minds.

... The sad moment when I realize that I definitely did eat 834 calories over maintenance daily for the past 6 weeks. :#
  • mynameisnotthatpopular
    Options
    Oh yes, been off work since end of January with a torn meniscus. Too heavy for a scope to do much help. Need to lose half a person. Was doing very well with counting calories here and doing my PT at the pool, then COVID took that away from me. Hard to do no impact exercise when doc wants me off my feet. Been eating out of boredem as well. I had lost 17 lbs, have gained 8 back. I know what has to be done, but am really struggling with life in general lately. Life will get better when things get back to semi normal, whatever that is going to be.... thanks for listening to me.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    A bunch of my MFP friends are going the other way. Lots of free classes online. Lots of us are doing bodyweight exercises. All sorts of calisthenics. Walking, bike riding learning to jump rope again...

You guys can do it. If you are working from home. Do not work in the kitchen.

I've been working from home for 6 years. Don't do it. Drink water and tea. Eat a fruit if you are hungry.

You got this!

Agree 100%. Don't blame the virus, own your actions. Best of luck
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Same! I find myself snacking for no apparent reason - throughout the day and at night. I started back tracking my food this week and I’m trying to get back to intermittent fasting. Its hard when you’re inside all day, but I think creating a schedule will help us get back on track.
  • brooklynans910
    brooklynans910 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same here! All my clothes are getting too tight (even though I love to exercise) which finally gave me a wake up call to stop stress eating and drinking. I’m trying to be good during the week and give myself a little more wiggle room on the weekends- I don’t have it in me for an overly strict regiment with everything going on. But definitely have lots of areas where I can scale back (snacking 3-4x per day, drinking during the week, baking things I don’t need...). Anybody looking for accountability feel free to add me!