new workout routine - gaining weight

Options
I think I am losing my ever living mind. So I have been tracking everything I eat, the good the bad the ugly. I purposely didn't track only 2 days in April, but I didn't go nuts. Recently, I have allowed myself to eat "non diet" foods, in moderation and have indulged in some Easter treats, however, I track honestly. Last week Mon-Sunday I worked out every morning, for a minimum of 30 minutes, of good cardio, every day except Friday. Saturday and Sunday I did about an hour each day. I am following body project cardio on Youtube, no stops and following the routine. I had been doing this since the pandemic closed my gym only 2-3 times per week, but I wanted to kick it up. I eat, EXACTLY what I track, no hidden binging, no lying to myself. Long story short, last week I weighed 194 this morning I am 209.
Needless to say I am p'd off LOL.

Yes, I may have consumed some salty foods (popcorn, salsa & chips, chocolate) but not in the amounts where I would actually be gaining this amount of weight. I pulled my weekly calorie tracking, added 1500 calories to it, JUST in case I am off slightly with my measures and counts. I have been low balling my burn for workouts, just to be safe as well and there is NO POSSIBLE way I gained 15 LBS from any cheating I have been doing.

Here is what I know-could be bloat re: salty food. I also got my period on Thursday, so during my workout frenzy I dealt with that. The reason I skipped Friday's workout was because I had bad cramps!
My scale isn't broken, I tried on a pair of jeans that are a tighter pair, they couldn't button up. So it's real.

I feel I know what people will say, but go ahead throw everything at me except the "why am I not losing weight chart" I get it. I am tracking honestly.

Advice? BTW: I skipped working out this morning and will not be eating any "cheat foods" whatsoever this week, and drinking large amounts of green tea.

I have "cheated" way more at other holidays and NEVER ever gained so much weight. Please blame my cardio workouts LOL (please please)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The two words I didn't see was "food scale." Do you use one?

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Apart from the food scale I would go for water weight and more waste in your system, possibly stepping on the scale at a different time of the day or with different clothes, and still the scale being off/at a different place/in need of a new battery. You 'gained' a whopping 15 lbs. In order to gain 15 lbs you'd need to eat 52500 calories above your maintenance calories. If this was in one week then you would have eaten 7500 calories over your maintenance every single day. Is that likely? I think you really need to consider other options than actual fat gain. Hey, that's good news, right? <3
  • fluffygoodas
    fluffygoodas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used a food scale for some things. Cereal, fruits, yogurt, rice, pasta, whatever I can accurately weigh. I don't drink liquids with calories above 60, the things I estimate, I ensure to log more than I eat to try to balance inaccuracies. I also scan bar code when I can and stick to the "portion" amount. I dont think it's actually fat, as mentioned I would have had to eat so much more, which I honestly don't think my stomach can handle as I have changed the portion and eating for so long now I physically cant eat large amounts of food, even if it the most delicious thing. I would get stomach pain and throw up if I push, which I don't. When I am full, I am done, which is what I track. I do not feel hungry. BUT man what a vibe killer!!! I was so pumped at my workouts, and impressed myself with my drive LOL...well this sucks!!!!!!
  • fluffygoodas
    Options
    *sipping my green tea* living the dream. FYI..I have peed like hourly at my office. Hopefully I will pee away these nasty ugly 15's.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like a combo of things- slightly overeating on some days/slightly under on others surprisingly messes me up every single time. Will gain 4-5lbs but will fall back off in a week or two.
    Some of it will be period bloat- for me that's about 5lbs every time so I don't even weight that week.
    Also probably some muscle building from the workout.

I recently started tracking and got back on MFP/Working out. My first week was awesome but I've been up 6 lbs since till this morning (3 weeks). Legit weighting all food and staying under on my calories. Sometimes it just takes the body awhile to figure out what you are doing to it.
  • fluffygoodas
    Options
    Yes yes yes all great comments. Thanks! Was having a real bad morning after the weigh in :'(