1200 calories too low? What % macros to aim for?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm a 46 yr old woman, 5.7" and weigh 144 pounds (10.4 stone). I've walk most days for at least an hour, often more, and do online HIIT classes of 30 min 3 times a week. In the last 5 weeks I've lost 6 pounds :)

Current macros are set to 40% protein, 30 for fats and carbs.

I noticed I was getting better and more consistent weight loss results when I went for daily calories at 1200. Currently I've been doing 1400 - 1500 as various calculations that said this was better based on my height, activity level etc. It's all a bit technical for me and I don't know if this is correct. I know a deficit of 500 calories a day equates to 1 pound of weight loss.

My question is this - Is 1200 calories ok for where I am in height, age, activity level?
Or too low and I should I stick what what I'm doing currently of 1400 - 1500?

1200 calories also equates to 120g of protein a day. I find it easy to hit this but not sure if I need so much if I am not body buiding?

Just wondered what others thought? Am I on the right tracks?!

Thank you so much, this is a great Community!

Replies

• JCH187
    JCH187 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a physiologist last year about calories, he told me an average height woman shouldn’t go below 1500 calories a day.
  • relativehunter
    relativehunter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I worked with a dietitian and after running tests, she recommended 1200 for me. I'm average height with a lot of weight to lose. I thought she was crazy. But, after getting used to it for a week or so and thinking protein for each meal, I developed a pattern of eating that let me stay pretty close to that level without tremendous hunger. She did recommend not staying at that level past 3 months. I did not stick to it, but for the 6 weeks of the program, I lost 12 pounds which stayed off for a couple of years.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Your scale weight is going to vary depending on your cycle, if you still have ovaries, so it really is hard to measure actual rate of loss using weekly data. Monthly data is best, and some folks recommend recording that measure at the same point in your cycle each month if you are more on the nit-picky side :) I agree with the above to aim for the 1400-1500 calories/day - it will fuel your workout. One thing that happens when calories are on the lower side is that non-exercise activity can drop. Bodies really try to conserve energy! In terms of protein, when you are in a deficit, most experts recommend eating .8g per pound of body weight which will put you at about 115 g/day. That's what you aim for, but you might not always get there. I'm a big fan of resistance training to help maintain muscles in a deficit. Don't worry about getting too muscle-y (if there is such a thing :wink: ) - and using body weight in full body exercise will work fine for most: planks, squats/split squats/lunges, push-ups, inverted rows (you can use a sturdy table), romanian deadlifts using whatever weights you might have around (if you don't have dumbbells or kettlebells lying around, gallon jugs of water, large bags of dog food, a box of books... you get the idea) and 2-3 times a week is fine.