Perhaps a silly question.. but i would like to know

Options
Once you reach your goal weight. What is the process to maintain it. Are your daily calorie intakes increased, exercise less?? I have no idea and just wondering.
Thanks!!! : ))

:smile:

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You would eat the calories required to maintain your new weight (NOT your old weight - then you'd just gain the weight back). I would keep exercising - after all it has health benefits way beyond weight loss.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you would want to very slowly transition to a maintenance level----not your old ways! Start by adding back a few calories each week, keep doing this until you reach a caloric level you are happy with without gaining weight.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You would change your settings to maintenance instead of weight loss and it will calculate how many calories you can eat to maintain. You could still eat your exercise calories on the days you work out and still maintain.
  • crazynay96
    Options
    many people still stay on MFP and log - you just change your settings to maintain vs loose and your caloric intake increases to accommodate.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have kept my calorie limits the same, I just tend to go over if I am really hungry, or allow myself some foods that I wouldn't before. I don't stress out if I go over the calorie limit by a couple of hundred.

Basically, I am eating the number of calories that I would be allowed on maintenance most of the time. I have just kept the "losing" settings to keep everything in perspective and above all, I continue to be accountable for what I eat.

I keep daily track of my weight and if it starts creeping in the wrong direction I take steps to reverse that. Yes, I tend to micromanage my weight, but that is what worked for me to lose weight and since that has been pretty much an impossible task up until now, I feel that is the strategy that works for me.

Oh, I continue exercising as that is one of the best ways to counteract the ravages of age. I do not do gym type workouts, though, just walking, hiking and working on the farm.
  • sumastorm
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your insight! : )) Makes sense now :))