Vegetarian in Paris!

Options
Hey everyone! I was accepted to a program to study abroad in Paris for 6 months. I am a vegetarian and so far since Ive been here (2 weeks to the day) my diet has consisted of bread, pastries, eggs, bread, coffee, cheese and some more bread. I normally never eat as many carbs as I am consuming here but the other choice is meat...with less bread. Ive been a vegetarian for 2 years and I have a very small kitchen with no oven so it makes cooking for myself that much harder. On the plus side I am walking about on average 3 hours a day exploring the city but Im afraid that will come to a hault once school is in session. It doesn't help that the average girl here is about a size 2 and still manages to go to the same bakery and eat a loaf of bread for lunch.
That being said is there anyone that has been through or something similar to my situation? Id like to lose weight but I know thats probably not possible right now so Im happy just to try and maintain the weight I came with. Any advice would be helpful! Merci!

Replies

• igora_soma
    Options
    Try making a conscious effort to eat more veg. I know that there are plenty of French bakes that you can get.

You will be walking around no matter how busy school is. I studied abroad in France and their eating habits turned out for the best. I lost 20 lbs ina year! Keep up the efforts and try to be careful with bread, that's what made a bunch of my friends gain.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the French don't believe in vegetarians so eating out will be very tricky! :(
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    sorry i have no advice
    but im so so jealous of you right now :(!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just did a quick search for you and places to eat in Paris when you are out and about :smile:

http://www.veggieplaces.co.uk/vegetarian_restaurant_paris_fr.html
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Wow! Amzing opportunity for you. I am not vegetarian but I do consume a lot of produce and fresh foods. I consume a salad every day. Salads can consist of cooked beeets w/ nuts or cheese or romaine lettuce, tomatoes w/ some cheese or nuts. Lots of produce such as lettuce, tomatoes, nuts, cheese (sharp cheese a little goes a long way) and a variety of beans. Also, oatmeal and pear barley, brown rice are good to have as you can use them for breakfast by cooking them w/ plain water and adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dry beans and brown rice or barley are really good to have at home, you can cook 4-6servings and you are good for the week. Fresh ingredients are important and from my traveling experience you are the ultimate place for fresh produce. I rarely consume bread, except eating out. Hope this helps. I am not much of a cook but this will help you through the week and you will not gain weight. I typically walk everywhere in Paris, walk, walk and walk. Milk, yougurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta are good dairy foods to have and alternate each week, depening on your likes and dislikes. You will be all set.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My family live in France and as a veggie I feel your pain. They are pretty backward with vegetarianism generally, although Paris is getting there! (My family are from the countryside where it's like a mental illness if you don't eat meat, my grandmother summed it up by asking 'is there anything we can do to cure her').

Basically because in France veg isn't eaten quite as much as in UK/US, look for salads when you eat out.
    Definitely definitely steer clear of bread, there is too much of that around.
    At least there is a great culture of sitting down for proper balanced meals in France which should bode well for you.
    You will probably have a bit of luck with ethnic food in Paris, which is more often vegetarian or at least cooked by people from places which cater for veggies well. I'm thinking lots of couscous from the Latin quarter.
  • mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you that posted!