HIIT without the jump? ;)

Options
Anybody find any HIIT jems that are knee-friendly?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    Body Project and Sidney Cummings have HIIT-like low impact videos on You Tube, the latter can be found under her apartment workouts on her channel. HASFit has them with light weights. I did a Shaun T video today and it's grouped like HIIT workouts as well with breaks in between sets (but you go for a few minutes, not shorter bursts) and has a guy in them doing low impact versions. I have back issues so I can't jump around, I figure it's probably not true HIIT but it's an alternative I can do.

I also second the idea of an exercise bike, I have a recumbent bike and it's supposed to be great for knee issues. It's helpful for me as it supports the low back.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do have a trail bike hehe. Plenty of wind here for resistance ;) will look up the YouTube vids as well
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Thanks all! I do have a trail bike hehe. Plenty of wind here for resistance ;) will look up the YouTube vids as well

The outdoor cycling close relation to indoor HIIT routines is hill repeats - find a big hill, sprint up, recover on the roll back down. And repeat.....

At least the scenery tends to be more interesting! :smiley:
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    mountain climbers ;)
  • alexmose
    Options
    mountain climbers ;)

Might as well say burpees without jumps....you’re evil!! ;)
  • radi0rah33m
    radi0rah33m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "Fitnes blender " on youtube or their site... they have all sorts of exercises there.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, a tabata routine is a sure bet to deliver knee friendly intensity.

Each exercise lasts only four minutes, but believe me, four minutes is long enough. The structure is as follows:
    Work out hard for 20 seconds - max effort!
    Rest for 10 seconds
    Complete 8 rounds
    You push yourself as hard as you can for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. This is one set. You'll complete eight sets of each exercise. I do Tabata work on my bike ridden indoors, but you can do pretty much any exercise. Squats, push-ups, kettlebells or any other exercise that works your large muscle groups will do.

An example of a workout might look like this:
    Push-ups (4 minutes)
    Bodyweight Squats (4 minutes)
    Burpees (4 minutes)
    Mountain Climbers (4 minutes)

with one minute rest in between rounds. "Enjoy!" ;)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »

The outdoor cycling close relation to indoor HIIT routines is hill repeats - find a big hill, sprint up, recover on the roll back down. And repeat.....

At least the scenery tends to be more interesting! :smiley:

I'd much rather do those than the below....

mountain climbers ;)

.... which is not just evil, it gave me flashbacks to boot camp!

But for the higher outputs, the bike seems to be the winner. Not much else will allow that much work in a short period of time, unless you take more risks on the knees and other joints.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    "Fitnes blender " on youtube or their site... they have all sorts of exercises there.

Be careful with some of their "HIIT" workouts. My wife is a fan and showed me their one with a KB -- awful, awful form. I'm a bit picky when it comes to KB form as you can really hurt yourself and they shouldn't have made a KB tape IMHO without first really understanding the most basic move -- the swing.
  • alexmose
    Options
    Update, I went for a sydney cummings 40 min one. although I did not burn 450 cals (LOL), still a great workout. Here it is,https://youtube.com/watch?v=MaJKfBb0j6w
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Check out Heather Robertson's youtube channel. She has some low impact options too.
  • alexmose
    Options
    Bump bc I looked into team body project and liked it
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Bike.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I bike and ellipitcal. I do Les Mills workout. For Body pump when they do lunges I jump onto ellipical for the 5-6minutes. I do their HIIT spin and Spin Trip spin classes. I also do the Body Combat which I just do not jump but I still get a great and varied workout.
  • alexmose
    Options
    Anabirgite wrote: »
    I bike and ellipitcal. I do Les Mills workout. For Body pump when they do lunges I jump onto ellipical for the 5-6minutes. I do their HIIT spin and Spin Trip spin classes. I also do the Body Combat which I just do not jump but I still get a great and varied workout.

I am actually a Pump instructor ;) I have done one combat class but tried Grit and the jumps were miserable. Once I get a proper bike or use the small one I have, I’ll give those a whirl!!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would go on a bike and run on the next cog up to where you would normally be. I'm guessing you are using a HIIT app to time you in and out :-) Make sure you are not distracted if you are riding on a road. Stupid advice but after a few intervals ... well you know what its like :-)