Binge eating

Options
ncho9454
ncho9454 Posts: 1 Member
I binged nearly over 3000 calories and i feel like garbage. I did not binge for over a month and i thought i overcame it but im so scared im relapsing again

Replies

• SherryCook2
    SherryCook2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! Fight with husbend last night and then ate everything! First time in two months. But I woke up this morning and made myself a healthy breakfast and getting ready to go on a walk. Still mad as hell at him but I can only control my actions.
  • SnyderJo
    SnyderJo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @ncho9454
    Well, there's always a reason for why we do the things we don't want to do. Internal struggle is common to us all. Try to learn from your missteps and just go forward. Sometimes we have to face unpleasant circumstances with grace and move on ahead. Binge eating and habits can be challenged and you can change! :smile:
  • liverino
    liverino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In case of an occasional episode what works best to get back on track is actually to pretend it never happened. Accept that it happened and don't try to compensate. Don't eat less food in your next meals, don't exercise more, don't purge or take pills. Say that it is something that "happened to you" and not something that "you did" and that "you are". Trying to compensate only sets you up for another binge.

Also, try to give yourself a "binge allowance". What I do I put stickers on my calendar. Whenever I have a good day, the next morning I put a star or a butterfly. Whenever I reach another full week I put a smily face. And then I allow myself one 😱 face a month if/when I have a binge. If you struggle more, you can allow yourself 2 or even 3 😱 a month or even multiple times a week. Just stick with that number for a month, then remove one 😱 from your allowance for next month and continue until you are down to one or two a month. That way you will still feel "in control" even when you have a binge, because you've planned it allowed yourself to do it in advance. It will be part of "the game" and not a failure.

PS as long as you don't exceed your "binge allowance", at the end of the week you get a smiley face even if you've binged. Next to the smily face, I write the number of weeks that I've been successfully using this system to mark my progress.

PPS if you can't find stickers, you can just draw them, but colours help as you can see it straight away as the calendar fills up.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I used to have a problem with binging. It still pops up as a desire from time to time, but it's very easy to tell it no. So you can recover.

I started by saying aloud, "I want to binge. I am going to binge." Because this makes it something that I am doing, not something that sort of overtakes me and happens to me.
    After I was okay with that, I started to say, "I want to binge. Why do I want to binge?" At first I got no answer. As I kept doing it, I began to get answers back. "I'm upset! I'm angry! I'm sad! I'm tired!" And starting with the simple things, I began to lovingly and firmly push back.
    "I'm tired!"
    "If you're tired, you should go to bed. Eating won't make you feel better if you're tired."
    "I'm going to eat anyway."

But eventually I could say, "I'm tired. I should just go to bed, and take my rescue med. I don't need to eat." And I could go and have a soothing hot bath and take my rescue med and go to sleep, which was the best thing for me at that point. And eventually I learned to sit with the sadness and the anger and just FEEL them, and tell myself it was okay to be sad about this, it was okay to be angry about that, and find better ways to deal with both of them. If that meant I needed to put on a certain song and weep, okay. If that meant I needed to go clean out a cabinet or take a brisk walk, muttering angrily the whole time, okay.

And THEN I could say, "If you're sad about how things turned out with your friend, eating won't make it better. Why not have a bit of a cry, and then watch a funny video?" And I could, and did, and the urge to binge went away. And nothing bad happened by not giving into the binge.

In time, I had a history of not-binging when I got emotional. I had other ways to handle it. I won't say that I don't want to on occasion. I do. But I don't have the overwhelming pressure and anxiety with it, and I can make the decision not to do it.

So there you have it. It's work, but it's work worth doing.
  • babyb2020
    babyb2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just did same thing last night. Having issues with ex boyfriend & couldn't talk to any of my friends cuz they don't know I'm still talk to him