How should I make my running schedule? Been out of whack!

Options
I was supposed to run 9 miles this saturday but did not make it out with my group of friends. I am training for a half marathon on Oct 16th. I only ran last saturday and this wednesday. I was thinking maybe 5 today or should I really attempt the 9? Should I go as far as I can and then just walk the rest to equal nine?? Trying to decide whats important but be smart about it. Thanks!

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    When is your next "hard" or "speed" workout?

Also, is 9 miles the longest distance that you've run so far?
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been following a half marathon schedule and the longest I have run so far is 7. I have trained before but wanted others opinion
  • ChRiStA_1983
    Options
    You don't typically want to skip a long run, so I'd suggest doing the 9 miles, BUT, I would take a rest day tomorrow (or the day after you do your 9 miles)...So if you have a speed workout or a tempo run scheduled, see if you can push that to some other day in the week....

You won't want to run just 5 miles today, and then have to do a long run that is 3 or 4 miles longer than your longest run NEXT week on long run day. You're never supposed to increase distance by more than about 10% per week.....So you want to get that 9 mile run in, especially if next week's is a longer one than that, even.

Keep in mind, I'm not a professional, but I AM in the middle of marathon training, so I do have some experience and knowledge (based on a TON of research when I was creating my own training plan!).....But honestly, just do what feels good for you! Don't push it, because the last thing you want is to end up injured!!!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    One of the leaders of my running group said to us after a long run where many struggled with the miles because it was hot, he said.. "you dont want to skip on your long runs "get the miles in" and suggested we take it easy on the pace - he noticed many started off fast. Drop your pace down to help you get it done or do a walk/run. That the long runs are supposed to Long slow distance. Maybe this will help you - just take it easy and get your miles in.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot. I know I need to worry about the upcoming weeks thats why I really knew I had to do the nine. I hate being a SAHM during summer then thrown back into the grind with teaching. Get such a nice running schedule going then its all messed up once school starts LOL
  • ChRiStA_1983
    Options
    LOL I'm a teacher, so I feel your pain! I've been able to train for my marathon at whatever time of day I want, since I have the summer off, and it's been AWESOME! Now I'm back to teaching in two days, and will have to try to fit my training in around work, parent-teacher interviews, marking, report card times, etc!