Coping with sugar cravings

Options
MyAlpaca
MyAlpaca Posts: 5 Member
How do you cope with your sugar cravings. I look at chocolate labels and promptly put them down when I see the calories. The only thing I have found are pink and white wafers. What is your sugar beater?

BTW I am just starting on my journey and at the moment I am just making sure I do not over eat. Once I have that under control, then I can concentrate on healthier options 😉

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I found my cravings for simpler sugary foods (candy, baked goods) decreased after I started making it a point to get at least 3 servings of fruit daily. This doesn't help everyone, but I've seen others here report it being successful for them, too, so it's not just me.

For the first couple weeks or so, I had to work at it. Then the fruit consumption became pretty automatic, and the cravings for other stuff decreased. Eventually, I was able to be less structured about the amount of fruit, without the other cravings coming back. I still eat the occasional rich dessert or good chocolate, but many of the things I used to eat (and crave) aren't even appealing now (like grocery store baked goods): They just taste too simple - only sicky-sweet, no interesting flavors, totally not worth the calories.

Used to be if I had that stuff in the house, it would call to me. Now, it's more likely to get stale, if I even end up with some here from people giving it to me, or something.

YMMV.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I have a proper dessert every day after dinner. Might be a tiramisu, a flan, at the moment it's fresh strawberries with quark because I have both en masse at home. If I want something sweet over lunch then I have a slice of bread less and have a small wafer bar or something similar. If I really want something else, like a pack of crisps or liquorice ( <3<3<3 ) then I know I'll eat it all and go over my calories. But then the urge is gone for a while. Nothing wrong with that.
  • mike3582
    mike3582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel Kit Kat chunkies keep jumping in my hand in shops. It doesn’t matter what I do I just can’t help myself.

If I can’t resist then I try to go for light snack bars like 99 calorie kinds. As long as I’ve had something that tastes sweet I’m happy.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I keep Hershey kisses at 22 calories each and York reg size peppermint patties at 150 calories in my goodie box....when the sugar urge hits I know I have a sweet treat I can handle....I have lost 75 lbs in 11 months!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm with Ann (I wasn't always, in the past I was skeptical that fruit consumption would make a difference, as I ate fruit in season and not at other times of the year and hadn't noticed a difference). When I was losing I included sugary treats (mostly ice cream) in my diet but kept it controlled by eating it only after dinner (I didn't otherwise snack) and only if it fit within my cals. Hard and fast rules. Not snacking during the day usually meant I didn't think about food between meals, even when tempting things arrived in the office break room.

However, around the beginning of last year I made an effort to eat more fruit throughout the year, and every day 2-3 servings, as part of going more plant-based and somewhat higher carb than I'd been (still not especially high carb, I just naturally ate kind of lower carb before), and since then I have lost all interest in any sugary treats with rare exception. It's weird, and it hasn't actually led to me eating lower cals or finding it easier to maintain -- my favorite high cal foods aren't sweet -- but it is another data point that suggests it could help. Since I stopped eating dessert for the most part I don't think about it or miss it even on days I don't have fruit, but I suspect that's habit. Or it's nothing to do with the fruit, but getting old! ;-)
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the point where I can have sweets, treats, or desserts in the house. If I'm desperate for a dessert, I'll plan for it and get one serving of it. When I decided to start back again, I examined what I did in the past. While I lost weight, I was not successful at keeping it off ... and, I quit long before I reached my goal. I decided I needed to approach this a bit differently. I started at the end of March so this is my 4th week. I have decided to focus on 4 things. 1. log everything that passes my lips; totally and honestly. 2. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day. 3. begin to exercise and increase over time. and, 4. focus on choosing lower carb value items to keep carbs in check.

I've noticed two things thus far. First, when I feel a craving the first thing I do is go to the kitchen and drink a large glass of water and leave the kitchen. Second, if the water doesn't satisfy me, then I put on a walking tape and exercise. I'm 72 and have compromised lungs so walking to the pace of most videos can exhaust me pretty quickly. Both of these have helped to distract me from cravings.

One other thing I've noticed. I don't really get a craving for sweets, per se. I get a "craving". I think a big share of it is that I get bored and my old "go-to" was the kitchen for a treat. I'm now trying to channel that into a more healthy response.

My granddaughter purchased a bag of Hershey miniatures for me during her last grocery order ... thinking it was a nice treat for me. Not an overwhelming success. I tried to keep them in a remote room ... but could hear them whispering to me in the dark in the middle of night. :p I've since portioned them out into snack baggies and put them in the freezer. If that doesn't work; I'll be giving them to a neighbor.
  • radi0rah33m
    radi0rah33m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If ull eat for example...
    5cookies = 50g

U need to cut the 50g of carbs out of your daily carb limit...

So if ur carb limit is 100, and u are 50g of carbs with cookies... that means u have 50g of carbs left to eat till the day ends ;)
    Its all about evening things out... cheating will make u pay...

Although bare in mind, 50g of carbs from cookies vs 50g of carbs from fruits ( calms cravings ) are a WHOLE different story ;)

A cookie or two wont kill u ...just set a limit for urself...

When i get sweet cravings i eat 2 cookies...and im done for the day.....works well for me..... its all about will and determination!

Cheers🙄
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If ull eat for example...
    5cookies = 50g

U need to cut the 50g of carbs out of your daily carb limit...

So if ur carb limit is 100, and u are 50g of carbs with cookies... that means u have 50g of carbs left to eat till the day ends ;)
    Its all about evening things out... cheating will make u pay...

Although bare in mind, 50g of carbs from cookies vs 50g of carbs from fruits ( calms cravings ) are a WHOLE different story ;)

A cookie or two wont kill u ...just set a limit for urself...

When i get sweet cravings i eat 2 cookies...and im done for the day.....works well for me..... its all about will and determination!

Cheers🙄

Sorry but if I have the calories for 50g of cookies, I'm going to eat both, you dont have to give up carbs in exchange for other carbs.
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i agree with yirara on dessert. i tell myself that it is ok to have some sugar in my life because otherwise you will always crave the forbidden. the trick is timing your sugar intake. i usually have maybe half a muffin, some fruit, a small chunk of really good dark chocolate or even a small cup of chocolate milk after lunch (not everything listed here at one go of course 😅) i agree with AnnPT77 that fruit is a good choice. try intermittent fasting because that really helps with cravings. ultimately, it’s all calories in and calories out, no matter which diet you are on