Help me 'get over myself'.

Options
I need to lose weight - fact. I hate exercise - fact. I hate making a fool of myself - so exercise classes, certain exercises (star jumps, squats, anything that looks like dancing - I hate over enthusiastic 'trainers' - you know the ones, 'yeah you're doing great' (i collapsed after the first plank and the class has done 30), 'you're feeling great' no I'm not I feel stupid and inadequate...I am not competitive, I dont watch or enjoy any sports...

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    When it comes to a healthy and active lifestyle what don't you hate and/or what do you enjoy?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    I hate group classes, but I find other ways to move and exercise that I like more: walking, jogging (treadmill in front of the TV), indoor rowing (also in front of the TV). There are so many possibilities to become more active and exercise, I find it hard to believe that you hate ALL of them :wink: Walking is the easiest of all, you can walk with friends or family or your dog (if you have one). Even just doing housework burns extra calories.

Also: exercise is great for health, but technically it's not necessary for weight loss, all you need it to eat less calories than your body burns.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If you feel inadequate in a fitness class and don't want anyone to see your efforts--that's easy, do it at home. Set up a space and you can do whatever you like. I live in a medium size apartment in Rome with my family and have gotten up at 6 for years to do my stretching, aerobic, yoga mixed workout for an hour. The room is not big, but there's a good size rug and I lay a cotton blanket down for the yoga part. It's our LR so I turn on the TV and just start.

With the lockdown there are many ideas for things you might want to try. Everything new I add in, I start slowly until I can do it passably. I hold a plank for 2 mins. I didn't do that when I started. I'm 65, by the way. If I can do it, anyone can.

PS: As mentioned above, you can lose weight just fine with no exercise. However, it can help you look better once you've lost.
  • infinitycircle149
    infinitycircle149 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever try martial arts? I personally hate traditional exercises and using treadmills or other machines, but I find karate classes to be extremely enjoyable.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Simply take it back outside. Walk out your front door and keep on walking. Turn around when you're ready. If you like music, try a tiny swimming radio or musical device of your choice.

You're going to have to find movement you actually enjoy and keep on doing it for the rest of your life. So do everything on your own terms. If you don't like classes or gyms, it's not going to last. There's no need to throw your hard earned money down another rathole. ;)

When you've got your walking routine down pat you might want to incorporate some hills as you tool along. You have to make this all about you and what you're willing to consistently keep on doing. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Create your walking/hiking routine. Play your tunes. Unwind and leave it all out there on the trail.
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ever try martial arts? I personally hate traditional exercises and using treadmills or other machines, but I find karate classes to be extremely enjoyable.

I second this! Granted I have always enjoyed exercise anyway, but I started martial arts as an adult and love it. Yes there is going to be an initial “I look silly doing this” but we have all been there at some point before. My class has a family type feel to it (and I am NOT the type to be into that kind of thing) where everyone is encouraging but no one is in your face enthusiastic. We’re all just kind of working on whatever our own goals are with experienced people to guide us. People of all shapes and sizes and ages and experience levels.
    It doesn’t have to be martial arts. When I found it I was just looking for “something” to do. See if there are clubs (rock climbing is one example!) or something similar that do an activity you may be interested in. Something that isn’t a straight up “fitness class” may be more enjoyable to you for the kinds of reasons I listed in my little monologue :)
  • Jojo6009
    Jojo6009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Clubbercise? Personally, I'm not a fan of group exercise but I love going to Clubbercise. It's in the dark so it's not so intimidating and at the group I go to there are people of all shapes and sizes. I haven't been for a long time due to personal circumstances but I'm hoping to get back to it once I've lost a few pounds (my current weight is hurting my joints, so need to get some off before going back to my classes) and lockdown is over.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    Good news #1: Exercise is not required for weight loss.

All that is required in order to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than your body burns most days, and continue that often/long enough for pounds to be burned off. Your body burns calories just from breathing and making your heart beat and stuff, not to mention doing your job, home chores, etc. Exercise calories would let you eat a bit more and still lose weight, but that's 100% up to you. Exercise is not essential for weight loss.

Now, most people want to be healthy, not just thin, and that's where nutrition and exercise come in. Those are for health.

Good news #2: To be good for your health, the exercise doesn't need to be some miserable, difficult, odious sweaty thing you hate. Any form of added movement is "exercise": Easy walks. Casual bike rides. Active video or VR games. Gardening or carpentry. Real-life games (frisbee, golf, whatever). Playing with kids (if you have some).

If the "exercise" is a little bit challenging to you (not exhausting or painful, just a tiny bit of a stretch in duration, frequency, or intensity), it will gradually improve your fitness.

Bonus good news #3: On the eating front, for weight loss, those calories you eat can be any food at all, doesn't have to be "special" or even "good". It just matters that they be fewer calories than you burn (MFP will do the math).

Now, most people will find that if they try to fill up their calorie goal with (ridiculous example) all and only donuts, they'll be hungry in the short run. So, figuring out which foods are filling for you is something to work at, but you can pick from foods you enjoy and sort that out. And, like I said, most people want to be healthy in the long run (which permanent donuts won't do), so working at improving nutrition is a good thing to do . . . but you can do that gradually, and most people find they can still enjoy their favorite foods, and get reasonably good nutrition just by rearranging portion sizes and relative proportions of servings, still picking foods that are reasonably enjoyable to eat, based on their own personal taste.

The easier you make the weight loss process for you - which is very individual - the more likely it is you'll succeed.

This whole crazy popular myth that weight loss needs to be a difficult, painful process, with food that doesn't taste good, no treats, and massive amounts of unpleasant exhausting exercise . . . that's just wrong. Getting fat was not a sin, so we don't need to be miserable to pay for it. We just need to eat the right amount of reasonable food: That simple.

P.S. I was obese for 30+ years, until age 59-60. I've been at a healthy weight since (4+ years). I know it's unlikely ;) , but it's just possible that I might know something about practical weight management, ya never know.

Best wishes!