Losing weight during quarantine

Options
Hello how is everyone doing with quarantine life? I've gained 10 lbs this passed month. I went from working and being on my feet 8-12 hours to being stuck at home with no job till this virus passes. I'm also 5'1 you all can friend me if you like. I'm getting back at it to lose what I gained plus a lot more.

Replies

• kimahlew13
    kimahlew13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have gained 10 pounds also since the quarantine life. I just need some inspiration and support to start working out again. SMH
  • tboyd5000
    tboyd5000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m 61 but I didn’t feel like it until this quarantine started. I was at 158ish and Sunday night I was 164ish. This staying in and just going out when absolutely necessary. My downfall is when I go to the store I see everything that I basically do not eat or drink anymore. That being said now I’ve got myself addicted to Starbucks Vanilla Lattes again😢 but as of this morning I was back to 159.4 I hope we can all hold on until our states get to gradually try to get back to normal, maybe. I miss going to the gym. So I’m going to hang in there with you all until this gets better🙏
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    That's a dramatic change in activity level -- struggle is real. Any short bursts of activity or exercise you can insert in your day here & there will help. It's hard to replace being on your feet 12 hours, though, unless you want to stay on your feet all day at home. Fortunately, there are lots of free resources out there for 7-min workouts (and the like).

I've done ok but have had serious IDGAF moments. What has helped me is those moments last about an hour (vs. 4 days) so the damage is a few hundred calories vs. thousands. I was noticing this morning that I've bailed on my normal routine in one small way several weeks. I do a 12-min yoga thing every night, and one week I skipped that. One week I skipped weight lifting. I long ago stopped weeknight alcohol, but one week I had one glass every night (fit in calories, but macros would be better if I had fat/protein instead). I'm not really recommending this, just noticing that I've given myself slack in small ways while trying to maintain normalcy in big ways.

In moments of serious temptation, I have tried to do the "next right thing," to borrow AA wisdom. When I want to dive in the kids' chex mix, walk in neighborhood for an hour. After that I might eat the chex mix. Or something else. Or I might do the next right thing again. Taking it one decision at a time.

Good news -- It all counts! Good regarding little ways you tuck movement into your day & good decisions.
    Bad news-- It all counts. Bad when it comes to nibbles, tastes & licks you sneak in without logging.

I'm kind of giving myself a pep talk to stick with it, here. I find the IDGAF attitude is pretty rational considering the weight of what is happening in the world, but then, abandoning personal discipline doesn't help anything and can hurt my morale further. Controlling things in my control isn't a bad response. I wish you guys the best through all this.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am pleased to say I am doing OK and am sticking to my eating plan even though at the start it was a problem to get some of my regular food. We have been locked down for 4 weeks and I am still losing around 1kg a week.

I am doing a few more longer walks too which is good for body and soul and we have been getting some decent weather so I have been weeding which also helps.

I just try to keep in mind that all the effort of the last 8 months would be wasted if I let it slip now.
  • noiseydonut
    noiseydonut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks from when we started lock down in our state, I did a lot of emotional eating. The unpredictability of this virus has caused a lot of stress and I did get furloughed from my job too. Last week is when I really started to change my way of thinking and focus on exercise and learning new skills while i'm at home to advanced my life. So I guess you can say i'm officially working on my goals now. I used to sit a lot at my job so I think i'm actually moving more now from helping the kids with school to cleaning and of course exercise. Good luck everyone and stay safe!
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i’m 47 and I have come to realise that i gain weight when i Netflix 😂 cos when you are watching TV, it is almost impossible not to munch. i got the freeletics running app and i force myself to do the easier free programmes. my stamina is slowly improving and i’ve lost 2kg so far since lockdown started. i actually quit my job just before the whole covid thing blew up, thinking i could just freelance but now that’s impossible in my current line. so i do suffer from some anxiety but i just tell myself to do something positive and not get too down :)
  • NotSoFat70
    NotSoFat70 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I agree with the Netflix =weight gain. I limit myself to a couple of episodes(currently Breaking Bad) and then do yard work or household chores for an equal amount of time.I haven't lost any weight,but haven't gained any so I count that as a win. My house has never been this clean.Ever. :D
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yeah, my house is really clean too 😂
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,627 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now but actually lost a pound I didn't need to lose. I've gone YouTube workout video crazy! I'm spending more time working out than I used to though I also don't have access to heavier weights or my beloved stair treadmill so I'm spending more time to get an equal workout. Plus there are so many cool videos to try I'm overdoing it a bit. I got a Fitbit right before this and had started upping things like using the back bathroom and parking further away. I started putting my laptop at the counter when I go online in the morning and drink my coffee dancing to music and walking in place. I foam roll watching TV. And of course there's decluttering the house but I have so many boxes piled up in the garage and nowhere that's accepting them right now I had to stop.