5 Ways to Break a Weight Loss Plateau

Options
From Diet Blog. Thought this could be helpful for some. At the bottom is a link to calorie calculator,.

If you've ever tried to lose fat for any sustained period of time - you may have hit a plateau. You have changed nothing, but suddenly the fat no longer disappears. The human body is incredibly adaptive, and will do its level best to maintain equilibrium (homeostasis).

The plateauing effect has to be the biggest motivation-killer there is. Unfortunately many popular diet books are strangely quiet on the issue -- I guess the concept doesn't sell well.

The best single word of advice is to make a change. Don't make the mistake of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result (Ben Franklin's definition of insanity).

What changes can you make?

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing.

2. Strength Training
If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT).

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit.

5. Change Meal Frequency
If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

I know all that - What else is there?
Some of us seem to have more adaptive bodies than others. I remember when I was eating a fairly rigid diet, having three strength training sessions per week, and as much as seven (often intense) cardio sessions a week. After 3-4 weeks - the fat simply stopped coming off. The frustration was enough to make me take my meal plans (stuck to the fridge), screw them up and throw them away in disgust. I was furious and disappointed. I felt that I was doing everything "right". So what was the answer?

Chill out and back off... I was becoming obsessional. I started eating more, and gradually reduced my cardio levels. I gave my body and mind a break. In the process I have learnt to eat more intuitively. Every person is unique, and we must learn how our individual body responds - and how to work with that

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/12/26/how_to_calculate_your_daily_calorie_needs.php

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    From Diet Blog. Thought this could be helpful for some. At the bottom is a link to calorie calculator,.

If you've ever tried to lose fat for any sustained period of time - you may have hit a plateau. You have changed nothing, but suddenly the fat no longer disappears. The human body is incredibly adaptive, and will do its level best to maintain equilibrium (homeostasis).

The plateauing effect has to be the biggest motivation-killer there is. Unfortunately many popular diet books are strangely quiet on the issue -- I guess the concept doesn't sell well.

The best single word of advice is to make a change. Don't make the mistake of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result (Ben Franklin's definition of insanity).

What changes can you make?

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing.

2. Strength Training
    If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
    So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT).

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
    Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit.

5. Change Meal Frequency
    If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

I know all that - What else is there?
    Some of us seem to have more adaptive bodies than others. I remember when I was eating a fairly rigid diet, having three strength training sessions per week, and as much as seven (often intense) cardio sessions a week. After 3-4 weeks - the fat simply stopped coming off. The frustration was enough to make me take my meal plans (stuck to the fridge), screw them up and throw them away in disgust. I was furious and disappointed. I felt that I was doing everything "right". So what was the answer?

Chill out and back off... I was becoming obsessional. I started eating more, and gradually reduced my cardio levels. I gave my body and mind a break. In the process I have learnt to eat more intuitively. Every person is unique, and we must learn how our individual body responds - and how to work with that

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/12/26/how_to_calculate_your_daily_calorie_needs.php
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    These are also just great weight loss tips in general. I hope somebody finds them useful.
  • laurs
    laurs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will try some of these and update everyone on my experience as to what works and what doesn't. it's been tough!

Thanks for the tips!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Great subject, very helpfull advice. I am going to some of those things to break out of this 3 week plateau I'm on!!! :tongue:
  • gemfrire
    gemfrire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just what i was looking for...some ideas on how to shake up my metabolism. Although I am still losing each week the last two weeks have been less so I was concerned my body had become accustomed to the amount and type of food I have been eating. So this is exactly what i needed!

Thanks for sharing!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I think I need to focus on what the last paragraph says...reducing cardio. It feels so WRONG, though! I'm so desperate to get the last few pounds off, reducing cardio seems counterproductive to me! ACK!

This is really good info, though, Anna! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you so much! It's really good info to know BEFORE I hit a plateau...thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Thank you so much! It's really good info to know BEFORE I hit a plateau...thank you! :flowerforyou:

Right, if you incorporate some of these things as you go along you may avoid a plateau
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    This was awesome! I am on the last 10 pounds, I haven't ever been able to get past 135, and I am definitely feeling that stressed/obsessional feeling! I think I have been being too hard on myself and need to give myself a break. I think it would be awesome for those of us plateau-ers to share what works and what doesn't, what do people think?
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I know for me increasing my calories for a week, from 1300/1500 to 1800/2000 seems to help me.
  • kevmandfl
    kevmandfl Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi
    I have read your posting and found it very interesting.
    I would like to try zig zagging my calories but I am only on 1,200 a day as it. Any suggestions as to how I can make this work for me.
    Thanks
    :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Hi
    I have read your posting and found it very interesting.
    I would like to try zig zagging my calories but I am only on 1,200 a day as it. Any suggestions as to how I can make this work for me.
    Thanks

Try this site. it gives you a pretty guided plan.
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I like to break my Plateau by eating ice cream and sitting in the EZ chair
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

As odd as this sounds, I've broke 2 plateaus by doing the same thing. *shrug* I don't know how it worked, but it did! Talk about a food hangover the next day, though. :sick:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

As odd as this sounds, I've broke 2 plateaus by doing the same thing. *shrug* I don't know how it worked, but it did! Talk about a food hangover the next day, though. :sick:

Been there done that. If I get stuck, I will sit around doing nothing but eating junk and it has always helped.
  • kevmandfl
    kevmandfl Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you :drinker:
    I really like the ice cream idea ,lol , will try it if I get stuck.
    Have a good day everyone.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    it's the quickest way to get some fast carbs into your body and some well need rest.
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Don't forget to sleep for at least 7 hours a night, huge part of body reset for the next day.

I also heard somewhere that if you rotate what you eat and how you eat every 3-4 days it also helps with resetting the body and keeping it guessing
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for posting this! The dreaded plateau!!! And I did not know how to get out of it!!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I also heard somewhere that if you rotate what you eat and how you eat every 3-4 days it also helps with resetting the body and keeping it guessing

This is something I do. I will have mostly protein for a few days then switch to eating mostly carbs for a few days. I don't do it on purpose, but that's how I end up eating.