I need dinner ideas! pleassse helppp

xHelloQuincyx
xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
Please please can I get some suggestions here!
I recently moved far away from my family, and moved into an apartment with my boyfriend. The stress of having to get enough money and pay for rent is getting to me along with going to college full time. (6 credits over full time)
Today is grocery shopping day i think. I could really use some ideas for healthy dinners! Sorry to say but i really haven’t been putting the time into making the dinners as i have before school and work started.
It’s been mostly off brand tuna helpers, instant potatoes, and ramen. I’ve tried not putting the seasoning in ramen and adding frozen veggies. Soup and sandwiches are good but too high in sodium. Bagels also work very well in the morning. I don’t have time to eat before I leave for school so I eat on the bus. It’s a struggle to find things that my boyfriend likes to eat along with me. Lunches are not a problem. I have wheat thins, clementine’s, granola etc. but I can’t seem to find something that’s filling for dinner that is an actual meal.
We hardly eat meat, but ground meat/ turkey, chicken is an option. I am at a COMPLETE loss as to what to make! Some easy suggestions would be very appreciate. Also if you would like to add staples in your grocery list that would be amazing!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    skinnytaste.com :)

I'm a cheap college kid, too!
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    i lovee http://www.hungry-girl.com/ -- she uses a lot of weird brands which i substitute for stuff i can find and adjust the calorie count to the things i used, she has a lot of really good "swaps", where she takes foods that are horrible for you and turns them into tasty low calorie versions
  • For your Protein, try Talapia or Fish (Baked), for Veggies get the frozen mixed bag (California Blend) cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots.. and for a fruit eat apples...... Eat the Apples first since they have fiber in them they can give you the "full feeling", 2 cups of the veggies will help also.....A meal like that can range from 200-500 calories at most..and not expensive..If you goto Walmart like me..*0)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    i lovee -- she uses a lot of weird brands which i substitute for stuff i can find and adjust the calorie count to the things i used, she has a lot of really good "swaps", where she takes foods that are horrible for you and turns them into tasty low calorie versions

bump
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    oatmeal
    whipped peanut butter
    fresh veggies
    fresh fruit
    tuna
    vanilla coconut milk
    dark chocolate almond milk
    nuts
    eggs
    chicken
    Skinny Cow
    Nature's Own 100 calorie whole grain rounds
    brown rice
    Sugar Free Jello

Those are pretty much my staples. Grilled chicken on a bed of baby lettuces or spinach is awesome. Also check out www.eatbetteramerica.com for some awesome recipes.

Good luck!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    I agree.....skinnytaste web site is awesome
  • staples:

pasta, low sodium tomato/spaghetti sauce, quinoa, sweet potatoes, turnip, squash, chicken breasts if you can get them on sale, whole chickens, low sodium diced tomatoes, canned beans/lentils/chick peas, low sodium chicken broth, cabbage, carrots, onions, frozen vegetables, chili powder, pesto, nuts (unsalted), rice, ground chicken/turkey, potatoes

Things you could make with the above:

Spaghetti/noodles + sauce + ground meat
    Chicken with steamed veggies and roasted squash
    Soups
    Chili
    Curried cauliflower and chick peas with basmati rice
    cabbage rolls
    Shepphard's/cottage pie (with ground meat or with lentils) made with potatoes or mashed turnip
    meatballs with herbed quinoa and carrots
    Roasted Chicken with turnip and mixed veggies
    Chicken pasta pesto
  • Try this out. My personal chef's (husband's) website:

thefitnesscook.com
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    greek yogurt
    Almonds
    tuna
    eggs
    chicken breasts ( you can dice them and pan fry them with spray oil and they make wonderful burritos with a little cheese and salsa)
    low fat string cheese
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    My staples are fruit (strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit sections, bananas, apples, etc), brown rice (can be cooked in large quantity then refrigerated/frozen), almonds (love the Blue Diamond - Natural Oven Roasted Almonds - Dark Chocolate Flavor or Mint Dark Chocolate Flavor), greek yogurt (plain and add those REAL fruits to it), boneless/skinless chicken breast...

My suggestion for little time but big bang for the buck is a small crockpot/slowcooker. Cut the stuff up the night before (or even the weekend before), throw it in the crock in the morning, turn to low, and YUMMMYYY when you get home. I work and take classes full-time in the evening. I tend to bring food with me to school as classes start at 5:20 and I get off work at around 4.

There is a website called savingdinner.com, she has some really good ideas for pre-preping your food and having it in the freezer ready to cook, anything from lasagna to burritos to baked chicken...

Good Luck, it is hard eating healthy in college, let alone trying to lose weight!

~ Sonia
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    sparkpeople.com. Love it in fact I am making a taco stew right now. and the whole meal cost me $5 and it will feed my family of three twice for dinner and two of us for lunch. Try also grocery shopping at discount stores. I never go into the main chains. I try to stick to Aldi's, Walmart and I purchase my spices at dollar stores. I also recommend a crock pot very easy especially if you are never home I got mine at a wedding garage sale for $10. Also you can purchase canned veges just drain and rinse them before using and they are a lot cheaper than frozen. Just be careful canned spinach and asparagus are gross better to buy fresh or frozen.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Tons of recipes and ideas on the web. I go to cookinglight.com a lot. Its free so I don't think I am advertising. Hope its ok. another free site with lots of good ideas is moneysavingmom.com. She has grocery lists, recipes, coupons etc Hope these are helpful . good luck. One day you will graduate and it will all be worth it!!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Nothing out of a box or can.

Eat fresh veggies, fresh fruit, make sandwiches with fresh ingredients, etc.

Get a strong blender and learn about green smoothies... dinner, in under 5 minutes!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    I love the Kraft Food and Family Website. In fact, I was just planning my meals moments ago.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Try this out. My personal chef's (husband's) website:

thefitnesscook.com

OMG! I just went to that site and I am drooling!!! Everything looks so yummy! I totally just subscribed to that! :bigsmile:

~ Sonia
  • xHelloQuincyx
    My staples are fruit (strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit sections, bananas, apples, etc), brown rice (can be cooked in large quantity then refrigerated/frozen), almonds (love the Blue Diamond - Natural Oven Roasted Almonds - Dark Chocolate Flavor or Mint Dark Chocolate Flavor), greek yogurt (plain and add those REAL fruits to it), boneless/skinless chicken breast...

My suggestion for little time but big bang for the buck is a small crockpot/slowcooker. Cut the stuff up the night before (or even the weekend before), throw it in the crock in the morning, turn to low, and YUMMMYYY when you get home. I work and take classes full-time in the evening. I tend to bring food with me to school as classes start at 5:20 and I get off work at around 4.

There is a website called savingdinner.com, she has some really good ideas for pre-preping your food and having it in the freezer ready to cook, anything from lasagna to burritos to baked chicken...

Good Luck, it is hard eating healthy in college, let alone trying to lose weight!

~ Sonia

thats so helpfull! i never thought about a slow cooker!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    Nothing out of a box or can.

Eat fresh veggies, fresh fruit, make sandwiches with fresh ingredients, etc.

Get a strong blender and learn about green smoothies... dinner, in under 5 minutes!

haha i do have a blender, but my boyfriend likes to eat at the table together (we only see eachother for 1hr ish a day and weekends) and i dont think i could get him to eat that :p
This discussion has been closed.