Looking for Fellow Former Noomers (and anyone who needs a friend)

Options
Hey guys, just looking to add some friends who used to use Noom, and would like to discuss it here! I have been on MFP before, did it for nearly 5 years. Then I got tired of trying to prove something by logging in every day, but not logging my food (it was tiresome). Then in November last year, I signed up for Noom's 4 month plan just to see what it was all about. I gotta be honest, I did my best, logged every day, but the lack of food in the database drove me nuts! And not being able to make my own recipes? And my coach just repeated stuff I said back to me (I suppose that's helpful to some people), but she was very helpful and nice. Anyway, I did manage to lose 20 pounds, and I just recently finished the program.

I definitely have noticed I still need logging my calories to keep me in check, so that's why I'm back on MFP. And, I've gained 3 pounds since I stopped Noom (got a little lax!), so I don't want to spiral. I've got real goals, and I know that weight loss isn't an overnight thing, so I'm just looking for a little support. :smile:

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• VanessaRP2
    VanessaRP2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used noom as well and the food database was what I didn’t like and the whole color food group thing got on my nerves.
  • shifuyaku1309
    shifuyaku1309 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @VanessaRP2 exactly! While I liked the idea of breaking stuff up into calorie densities, it felt strange to be applauded to eat wheat bread. What if I just wanted to sit and eat wheat bread all day? No problem, according to them, it's a green food. But, what I really know about macros from MFP helped me figure out what I needed. And, they weren't able to figure out foods I really needed to be eating, and I'd still like to know. I might have to see a nutritionist because I have PCOS and losing weight is going to be much harder than I think (hence it taking 4 months to lose only 20 pounds).
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Not that I had any desire to use the program I was curious about the secret details inside that people were paying for.. seems almost like a restructured version of weight watchers... points to colors... meetings to coaches.. awards for specific foods eaten based on their view of healthy eating.. =/ seems like another thing to just empty ones wallet, which sounds like it's probably gonna be most peoples only permanent weight loss, like a lot of repeat weight watchers customers
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    @VanessaRP2 exactly! While I liked the idea of breaking stuff up into calorie densities, it felt strange to be applauded to eat wheat bread. What if I just wanted to sit and eat wheat bread all day? No problem, according to them, it's a green food. But, what I really know about macros from MFP helped me figure out what I needed. And, they weren't able to figure out foods I really needed to be eating, and I'd still like to know. I might have to see a nutritionist because I have PCOS and losing weight is going to be much harder than I think (hence it taking 4 months to lose only 20 pounds).

4 months to lose 20lbs is actually reasonable, that's not slow at all.
  • shifuyaku1309
    Options
    Not that I had any desire to use the program I was curious about the secret details inside that people were paying for.. seems almost like a restructured version of weight watchers... points to colors... meetings to coaches.. awards for specific foods eaten based on their view of healthy eating.. =/ seems like another thing to just empty ones wallet, which sounds like it's probably gonna be most peoples only permanent weight loss, like a lot of repeat weight watchers customers

Well the real reason people use Noom is for the psychological aspects. It helps you reconnect with food on a healthier level, and realize why you eat the way you do. All that stuff, I agree with, because I don't go to a therapist. But yeah, everything else was just similar to weight loss programs. There's not really a difference in any weight loss program when you understand what it takes to lose weight yourself.
  • shifuyaku1309
    Options
    @KrissCanDoThis also :smiley: I feel like being 300 pounds when I started, and only losing 20 pounds in that time seems a little too slow, as I've seen plenty of people who weigh a lot and tend to lose the weight fairly quickly. There might be more going on here in my body than I am aware of contributing to my slow weight loss.
  • GingerPrincessx13
    GingerPrincessx13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used noom for the free 2 week trial and was so frustrated with nothing being in their food database that I cancelled. MFP is free and the database is way better. Also it seemed like every message sent to me was generic and probably sent to everyone.
  • shifuyaku1309
    Options
    @KrissCanDoThis thanks for the reply. I agree, and appreciate your insight 😎 we're all in this together
  • AndreaMarie1236
    AndreaMarie1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Former career ww here! Lost 132 lbs and looking to make new friends:)

I’m Andrea!
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tried noom for two weeks because it was free. I had to redownload MFP just to enter calories. MFP and Keto worked for me in the past so here I go again.I would love to be a weight loss buddy
  • trust463
    trust463 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess I got as far as reading the stuff on noom. I was sent the sign ups to my email to commit about 10 days ago and continued to read more of what others were saying about noom. The conversations were about the program and the nutrition buddy. I read many comments almost identical to yours shifuyaku and came back to mfp log in.

so for my 53rd birthday, i set up a dr appt to get help. I told this dr everything. I said i don't want surgery. I want nutrition help and weight loss guidance. Her answer was phentermine! Holy crap that stuff is like speed. she gave me topermine to go with it to stop my cravings. The results....yea, i lost weight, but the negative side effects of it were not something i would continue. I then told her in our dr appt over the phone (corona distancing) that i wasn't liking the meds so she offered a new script for same stuff but capsule. The pharmacy said the insurance wouldn't pay and that was my cue to bag the dr idea.

so here I am. I am ready to motivate and be motivated. I have ideas to share and looking for much help too. This time is my success time. Not just trying this time, I am doing. The 90% mental is here. Now its work time. Down 16 lbs in about 40 days with another 75-80 ready to go. I am looking for buddies to bounce ideas with and encourage. Thanks.
  • StevieBert
    StevieBert Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used Noom for four months about 1 1/2 years ago. While some of the psych stuff was helpful, the food database & “coaches” left a lot to be desired. I was also in a major depression at the time & on 5 Rx meds that cause weight gain. I started at 155 & went down to 144. Now my mental health is much better & I’m ready to work on my body. I used to bounce from 115-125 for years & always felt great. I’m 5-1. My goal is to get back to 125 & I’m currently 200. Anyone on this thread, feel free to add me! Hope we can help support each other. I think It would be great to converse with other past Noom users.