Intermittent fasting vs calorie counting for women

Options
I tried intermittent fasting before and hated it I am on a deficit and it’s easy for me to count calories. But I’m just wondering if there’s really a difference or even a point in intermittent fasting as all you’re doing is trying to reduce calories either way except if you don’t track with fasting you could overeat anyway

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It seems like fasting doesn't fit well with aerobic exercise.

Maybe some people can do it, but I've found that I can't. If I do the run in the morning (fasted) I'm mega hungry about an hour later and need to eat something. If I fast throughout the day, I can't run in the afternoon.

When I've fasted, it's been on a non-exercise day. I might walk around a bit, but I won't go on a 5 mile run!
  • seedrah6
    seedrah6 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    This is not an either/ or question. You still track calories with intermittent fasting. It doesn't magically cause weight loss. It is just a tool to help with calorie control.

That’s exactly my point. I already control my calories so don’t think intermittent fasting makes much difference.
  • seedrah6
    seedrah6 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've dabbled with IF a few times and found it's just not a fit for me. I always tracked calories while doing IF and there was no discernible difference in scale weight or other intangible "benefits" from IF. Adherence is a little easier to come by when doing IF but nothing I can't match by being diligent with adherence eating throughout the day.

Yeah I find restricting eating to a time is very obsessive and doesn’t work with my daily appetite. I have a small appetite anyway but it’s usually high in the morning/first meal plus IF throws off your hormones and doesn’t seem too fun

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    seedrah6 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    This is not an either/ or question. You still track calories with intermittent fasting. It doesn't magically cause weight loss. It is just a tool to help with calorie control.

That’s exactly my point. I already control my calories so don’t think intermittent fasting makes much difference.

That really becomes a personal preference issue. If you are comfortable with your current eating pattern and hitting your calorie goals in a sustainable way, why change anything. There is no inherent weight loss benefit to IF.

For some of us, we are not that hungry in the morning and like bigger meals later in the day. For me, it suits my preferences and keeps me on track for my calorie target effortlessly.
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    This article has a lot of solid information in it for anyone interested. I also like how it mentions IF isn’t for everyone: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have had sleep and digestive issues. I am hoping eating on an I.F. schedule will help ease those issues. Having a shorter window of time to eat can help you eat less, but not if you stuff yourself during your feeding time. You still have to monitor your intake vs. output.

Like some others on here, I prefer to save my calories for later in the day when I am prone to being more hungry - doesn't matter if I eat breakfast in the A.M. or not - I'm still hungry in the evening. Trying to stop eating by 8pm and into bed by 11. That's hard. But if I can eat the bulk of my calories by 8pm....I hope to stop over doing it on snacks.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am doing IF simply because I found it hard to stick to my calorie goals eating 3 meals a day + snacks. I would eat and then be hungry again.

I have no problems getting up and not eating for a while, I'm not even starving when it's time to eat. I do drink coffee in the meantime, so you could say I'm not really fasting I'm just eating really low calorie in the AM.

I don't expect any other benefits.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I had no issues hitting my calorie goal with 3 meals, no snacks, however spread across the day (snacking or grazing makes me feel hungry all the time), but I started experimenting with earlier in the day IF before the corona shutdown (curious how it would feel, if my sleep would be better), and kind of liked it (I was doing 2-3 meals from 7-4). Weirdly now I'm home all day I tend to eat 2-3 meals without a traditional breakfast, and still with dinner by 7 at the latest. Today I ate at 3 and 7. I'm just going with when I feel like eating, and I tend to skip breakfast -- my weekend schedule used to be 12 and 6 (with 6 often a nice restaurant dinner before a play or concert), so this is more like that without the fun activities included).

I don't think what I'm doing is ideal for when working outside of the house for me, but I'm going with it so long as it feels right.

I still have to count cals when eating within a window unless I eat in a very mindful way -- and when eating in a very mindful way I don't have to count cals when eating 3 meals spread from 6 to 9, which was my old habit. It's about what keeps me mindful if not counting (obv counting does).
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just started skipping breakfast this week to see if I’m better on 2 larger meals.so far so good. I’m still counting cals tho.