A very basic question about calories

Hi!
To preface, I have a basic understanding of calories, TDEE, BMR etc. Or at least I thought I did, I’ve read some conflicting information recently so am wanting to clarify. Specifically I’m wanting to work out how many calories I should be consuming to help me lose weight, if anyone would be so kind as to help?

Female
CW: 108kg/239lbs
Height: 5’7
Exercise: Minimal, right now. A 30 minute walk most evenings. Otherwise working at a desk 8-10 hours a day.
GW: 65-70kg/140-155lbs

When I calculate (on various calcs) it has my TDEE at roughly 2260 calories and my BMR at roughly 1880 calories based off my activity level - ie mostly sedentary at the moment.

I am wanting to lose around 1kg/2lbs per week - though I know this varies and will be more at first then slow down.

MFP has my calorie count automatically set to 1235 calories but I’ve always believed I shouldn’t eat under my BMR as my body needs that minimal number just to function?

How many calories would you have me eating to lose weight at a steady but moderate pace?

Thank you and apologies for the novel length message!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    My personal guideline is to limit deficit to 25% of tdee while obese; 20% when overweight/, normal weight.

As already mentioned, the variables are size of deficit, non exercise activity level, exercise.

And for the purposes of caloric expenditure activity level and exercise have no qualitative difference. in fact, often, less intense/higher duration/easier to consistently implement activities generate the highest cumulative expenditures.

The biggest win and deficit is still the kitchen. But you can only consistently, and with less unwanted side effects, leave uneaten a portion of the pie. I suggest 20-25%; not 44%
  • gettingto65
    gettingto65 Posts: 78 Member
    Thank you all!!! So very helpful.

I think I will start at 1500-1600, as I only tend to have lunch and dinner naturally and I can get decent meal sizes there. It just means cutting down big time on snacks and swapping flatwhites for long blacks, which I want to do anyway.

I kept reading over and over “don’t eat below your BMR” and basically indicating even a week of under eating it would result in major long term issues. Got quite confusing. I’m also quite deficient in iron so was concerned from that aspect too. But I think my new plan will work and be sustainable.

Thank you again :)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Thank you all!!! So very helpful.

I think I will start at 1500-1600, as I only tend to have lunch and dinner naturally and I can get decent meal sizes there. It just means cutting down big time on snacks and swapping flatwhites for long blacks, which I want to do anyway.

I kept reading over and over “don’t eat below your BMR” and basically indicating even a week of under eating it would result in major long term issues. Got quite confusing. I’m also quite deficient in iron so was concerned from that aspect too. But I think my new plan will work and be sustainable.

Thank you again :)

You basically just described my whole diet: big lunch and dinner, radical reduction in snacking (I eat no calories before noon or after 7 pm), and I eliminated flatwhites and all the little snacky side items like the marble pound cake for long blacks with a paper napkin on the side :D

With diligent calorie counting, it absolutely works and isn't especially difficult - for me, mainly owing to getting a decent sized lunch and big "non diet-y" dinner everyday. Those are the two things I need to keep it going.

Good luck.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    ...lol okay I know I'm gonna sound like an idiot here...but...

Flat whites? Long blacks? Lol..
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Nevermind I googled it.

I'm not a coffee drinker ( can you tell?)

Not gonna lie, it was sounding a little adult lol
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Nevermind I googled it.

I'm not a coffee drinker ( can you tell?)

Not gonna lie, it was sounding a little adult lol

lol