Recommendations for body weight scales

Options
Can anyone recommend an accurate body weight scale (bathroom scales)

Many thanks.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Any will likely do. Some single scales from one range might be dodgy, others work. If you get one where you feel that the weight is very off, or very different when you step on it twice within 10 minutes without eating or drinking (some scales have a short term weight storage function) then I'd return it. All scales need to stand on a flat, hard ground. Don't bother with fat measurement scales.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one for 50 bucks at my local grocery store... it comes with all that fancy pants stuff like bmi or whatever but I just ignore that stuff because its inaccurate info anyway. The only thing I wanted was something cheap that I could stand on and was digital.

Like what was said above, all that is true, and if you find a scale that is a good consistency, make sure you stick to one scale, dont compare it to a scale at a friends house or at work, they're all likely to be a couple pounds off from each other.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you want the most accurate possible scale and are not concerned about features other than finding out your weight, a good choice is the Tanita HD351. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U6F2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This scale is well-known for being phenomenally accurate, and it is. I've had one for 10 years and have tested it with dumbells, books, cats, etc. It has never been off by even 0.2 of a pound. You can put it on any surface, any angle, humid or dry, fresh battery or old, and you will get the correct weight every time. It is as dependably accurate as my GP's scale.

Now, if you want a scale that will also tell you your heart rate, body fat percentages, sync with the Internet and upload your data to an app for online analysis, it doesn't do any of that. Fortunately, all that kind of stuff is really inexpensive for developers, so you can get a $20 scale which will be reasonably accurate and give you mountains of information. The $70 Tanita is about only one thing: exact correct weight, every time. So it just depends on what you want.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got a weight watcher Conairs glass digital scale from Walmart for around $20. It is super accurate. I test it with a dumbbell occasionally, and I weigh myself, then myself with my puppy to see what he weighs. I took him to the vet and he weighed the exact same on the puppy scale!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    After breaking a more expensive scale's glass top (via a sideways tap on a cabinet), I wanted a scale right before Christmas.

Avoiding scales with false reliability (same number shown regardless of what the scale detects) requires an inordinate amount of research that I was just not willing to do at the time since most manufacturers use it to some degree to avoid the appearance of inconsistency even if such inconsistency would be a normal artefact of the technology and price point.

Even though I am extremely suspicious of top Amazon products due to review manipulation... I ended up just getting a (relatively cheap) top product, an etekcity esf24, due to fast delivery and... cheap and not too many verified hates.

As far as I can tell it is both relatively accurate and fast.

It tars the right amount for itself based on kitchen scale confirmation and within stated accuracy.

It is sufficiently consistent with post battery pull repeat measurements that... I've stopped double checking it.

I just feed the daily (ish) weigh ins to trendweight via Fitbit and call it a day.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I didn't think I would appreciate having a scale with Bluetooth sync to an app (and that app then syncing to MFP), but I really do like it.