Hit a plateau for some time - any advice?

Options
Hey,

So I have been working hard at eating right, measuring all my food and drink as closely as I can and going for long walks nearly every day.

Back in October 2019 I became extremely ill and it was only around February I began to feel like myself again, so my exercise is still mostly walking.

Anyway, I weigh my food, scan barcodes via the app and make sure it's correct. Looking at my food diary, I don't actually eat that much (apart from yesterday!) and I am pretty much constantly under my calorie goals as well as carbs, sugar, fat, etc. Some exceptions, obviously.

I managed to lose 28lbs before I hit this plateau and I was really excited to hit 30lbs, but I am not budging! I get that it all takes time, etc. I am just a little frustrated after all of the hard work appears to have come to a halt.

Here is a direct link to my diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/I3umble

If anyone has any advice after taking a look through my diary or has any advice for plateau's in general, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

Replies

• I3umble
    I3umble Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some other info:

Height: 5'8
    Starting Weight: 272.2lbs
    Current Weight: 246lbs
    Lowest: 243.8lbs

I lost around 25-27lbs from December to the end of March. I have double checked and in April I have lost 1-2lbs in total. I am eating pretty much the same amount of calories, doing the same amount of walking/exercise. The weight was essentially falling off me before and now is either not moving or nudging up a little bit every few days.

I have recalculated my goals on MFP. I am Diabetic and attempt to eat as low carb and sugar as possible. I have set these goals manually. I am still eating roughly the same amount of calories. For the weight I am, surely eating 1,300 - 1,700 calories per day, including anywhere from 100-400 exercise calories, I should be losing weight? I was before.

Thanks.

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have hit a little plateau too. I am telling myself to stay hydrated, eat healthy low calorie food and get some exercise. I think consistency is really important.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Are you in lockdown like so many of us, maybe doing less activity in daily life? That can make a difference.
  • JCH187
    JCH187 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always think when you plateau you need to change something. Are you stuck eating the same foods? Are you doing the same type of exercise? Try changing something and see if that starts things moving again.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I3umble wrote: »
    Hey,

So I have been working hard at eating right, measuring all my food and drink as closely as I can and going for long walks nearly every day.

Back in October 2019 I became extremely ill and it was only around February I began to feel like myself again, so my exercise is still mostly walking.

Anyway, I weigh my food, scan barcodes via the app and make sure it's correct. Looking at my food diary, I don't actually eat that much (apart from yesterday!) and I am pretty much constantly under my calorie goals as well as carbs, sugar, fat, etc. Some exceptions, obviously.

I managed to lose 28lbs before I hit this plateau and I was really excited to hit 30lbs, but I am not budging! I get that it all takes time, etc. I am just a little frustrated after all of the hard work appears to have come to a halt.

Here is a direct link to my diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/I3umble

If anyone has any advice after taking a look through my diary or has any advice for plateau's in general, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.
    Two words. "Intermittent fasting".
  • Killakee
    Killakee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So my methods may be a bit controversial compared to the methods stated above, but when I hit a plateau for more than two weeks, I take a few days to eat everything and anything!

I stop logging my foods for the 2-3 day period, and I don’t worry about weighing out portions. I eat what I want (within reason). It allowed my system to kind of jump-start, and before I knew it I had dropped 3 pounds!

I know this may not work for everyone, but it allowed me to not go crazy out of total frustration.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Killakee wrote: »
    So my methods may be a bit controversial compared to the methods stated above, but when I hit a plateau for more than two weeks, I take a few days to eat everything and anything!

I stop logging my foods for the 2-3 day period, and I don’t worry about weighing out portions. I eat what I want (within reason). It allowed my system to kind of jump-start, and before I knew it I had dropped 3 pounds!

I know this may not work for everyone, but it allowed me to not go crazy out of total frustration.

It's not crazy. Research suggests there's some physiological basis for why it might work, for at least some. It's not a "jump start" per se, it's a reset of stress/hunger/appetite hormones. More info here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

As a strategy, there's possibly more science behind it than behind "just change things up at random"/"body confusion" kind of strategies. Readers: Before you click "disagree", read that linked thread. At worst, it's interesting. At best, may help you.