Losing weight & gallbladder

Options
Hi
I know I have small gallstones from an ultrasound I had, and I am high risk for gallbladder problems but I haven't had any pain yet.I know weight loss can increase the chances of gallstones. Is there any thing I can do diet or otherwise to lower my chances of developing issues during my weight loss? Thanks

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,277 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend asking a doctor about this or a dietician with knowledge about gall stones.

But I seem to remember reading about gallstones in connection to rapid weight loss, (long) fasts and weight loss surgery.

So go slow with your weight loss and perhaps avoid intermittent fasting?
    A slow and steady approach to weight loss is always wise anyway, as a general rule, unless medical reasons require rapid weight loss.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband has these, the gallstones and sludge, and finds that having much less fat helps bigtime, as well as observing the rules for reflux--smaller meals more often, not lying down or sleeping in the 2-3 hours after eating, etc. Good luck. There is good information out there (and complete baloney too), so I hope your doctor can be helpful to you. We have also found that things like tai chi and meditating and less stress and taking walks to get a change of scene and wishing the best to that part of your body have helped a whole lot. Oh! And those Swedish bitters, a kind of herbal combination in alcohol that you take in water before or after meals, which helps with this and with digestion--we started using them a lot and they really help. They can be expensive, but they seem to genuinely help and can last a long time, with only a few shakes in water each time. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to talk with your doctor (you might even ask for a referral to a registered dietitian for expert help).

In general, I think slow loss could be a better strategy for you, unless you have important health conditions that fast loss would resolve, and make it worth the extra risk.