Vegetarian + High Protein Diet

Options
Hi, if anyone is vegetarian/vegan but also maintains a high protein/low carb diet I would love some recommendations. I no longer desire eggs, and I don’t eat the fake meats anymore because I don’t understand what exactly they’re made of. Thx xo

Replies

• missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this too. I don’t eat much meat and beans and nuts have protein but then I end up going way over on fat and carbs. I pretty much eat yogurt and cottage cheese but am usually still under on protein. I think the only way to do it is protein powder 😥
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    is there a specific reason you want to eat low carb vegetarian? It can likely be done, but would be a very limited diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that there are all kinds of faux meats, from the relatively simple (homemade seitan, for example) to the relatively complex (commercial products like the Impossible Burger). If there is one you're interested in eating, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is in it so that you feel more comfortable including it in your meal planning.
  • msannarichey
    msannarichey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian about 25 years. My favorite low carb/high protein foods are low fat cottage cheese and edamame. Not together :) If you're not worried about fat, adding a slice of avocado with a little salt to your cottage cheese is amazeballs.
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions in here - thank you all! I’m wondering what a day of high protein vegetarian eating (no portions, just which foods/meals) might look like for losing weight. I’m getting the picture that maybe eggs, low fat cottage cheese, and low fat plain Greek yogurt are going to make a return to my diet... I was vegetarian for years, then mostly vegan for a few, and this past year has had a smattering of attempts to stay full/satisfied while maintaining a calorie deficit. I’m realizing the high protein intake really does it for me but I would like to eat vegetarian... any help and suggestions are very much appreciated! 😁
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Sample ovo-lacto veg days for reasonable protein**, not including some side fruit/veg:

Breakfast: Peanut butter on Ezekiel pita, kefir.
    Lunch: Scrambled egg with hummus, tempeh, salsa; cabbage salad.
    Dinner: Green salad with cashews, green beans, sheep feta; Nonfat refried beans + black bean tortilla chips

Breakfast: Oatmeal with Greek yogurt, berries, walnuts. Coffee with hot skim milk.
    Lunch: Smoked tofu on Ezekiel tortilla with melted mozzarella, onions, sauerkraut, mustard.
    Dinner: Edamame fettucine and green peas, PB2 + gochujang chile paste + rice vinegar sauce, finely chopped sweet onions on top. Sliced tomatoes side.

Snacks: 2% milk string cheese; dry-roasted soybeans; crispy chickpeas; hard-boiled egg with seasoned salt ( <= not all at once ;) , just examples).

** I'm not all that big, so some variation on those themes would get me to around the 100g I target in maintenance (roughly 1g/lb of lean body mass), or the slightly less than that that I got while on reduced calories, depending on portion sizes.