Should I still be losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• smokesone
    smokesone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!

Personally I would eat at maintenance level, strength train, and then I guess eating exercise calories back is up to you.

nailed it head on. this is exactly what you should be doing.

I Agree
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Your quote....

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm really afraid of eating at maintenance. Because when I have a deficit I know that if I mess up, I will not gain anything (unless it was a huge mistake) but at maintenance if I mess up I run the risk of gaining weight.

I'm terrified of ending up back where I was over a year ago. Absolutely terrified, haha."
    [/quote]

me too!!!

All the very best...
    :flowerforyou:
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    if you dont have weights, then use tins. it's better than nothing :)

But can body-weight training be just as effective? Like if I do different forms of squats, leg lifts, calf raises, sit ups, pushups and what not can't that be just as good? I'll obviously have to do A LOT more, but I'm not opposed to that

You nailed it. Body weight exercises are just as effective, you just maybe can't isolate particular muscles as precisely, but you want overall training, not muscle isolation like a pro body builder would want.

Pushups, pull ups and crunches and you've got a complete upper body workout.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Check out the videos on You-Tube! Pilates, Yoga and calisthenics can be done with little or no equipment in your own home. You can get some inexpensive hand weights at Wal Mart, or sets of resistance bands are not that costly either. You can also use cans of vegies, water bottles, or tube socks filled with dry beans or rice. Google different exercises to target the areas you want to tone up. You can also borrow exercise videos from the public library!

If you are happy with your weight you can slowly bump your calories up by 100 every 2-3 weeks until you get to a point you are no longer losing. You would also want to be using your exercise calories too. If you find that you are gaining more than a pound or two you can always lower the calories for a couple weeks. It will take some time to figure out your balance, so don't freak out if the scale bounces around a little.

Good Luck!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would work on toning and eat at maintenance. Also, eat back your exercise calories so you do not have a deficit. You can still look look good without losing any more weight. You just need to strength train and tone areas.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm really afraid of eating at maintenance. Because when I have a deficit I know that if I mess up, I will not gain anything (unless it was a huge mistake) but at maintenance if I mess up I run the risk of gaining weight.

I'm terrified of ending up back where I was over a year ago. Absolutely terrified, haha.

I've been there and I know the transition to maintenance calories is difficult. Plus I found getting on the scales and not seeing a loss weird, it's kind of addictive seeing your weight creep down.

My advice is ease up to maintenance calories slowly, it takes a while to learn how many calories are right for you. Most importantly don't panic if your weight goes up at a weigh in, it naturally fluctuates anyway. Obviously if it keeps creeping up over a couple of weeks then you need to re-evaluate and lower your goal slightly. I have had a couple of times when I've lowered my calories for a few weeks to stay maintaining. If you stay vigilant you will be fine, you have managed to lose the weight so you can keep it off. If you put a few pounds back on, so what! you can easily lose it again, you have to eat at maintenance calories some time.

I definitely agree with the other advice about strength training, it's made a huge difference to me, also lately I've stepped it up a gear and I'm eating higher protein, lower carb which is really helping me to get lean.

btw press ups are great bodyweight exercise

and feel free to add me as a friend if you like, I will be happy to cheer you on.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are also getting enough protein. As you get thinner, your bodyfat will get more and more stubborn. Lots of clean, lean protein, lots of leafy green veggies, resistance training, and moderate cardio are all prerequisites to turning a skinny-fat bod into a slim, hard one.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can buy some resistance bands as well as do body weight exercises. The bands are cheap, and you can use them in your home. Good luck, I can only imagine that being at maintainance is scary - but you can do it!