More or Less Calories When Sick?

Options
Umeboshi
Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
I've got a pretty bad cold and I'm wondering if you burn extra calories when you're sick?
Should I be eating more or less calories than usual?
I let myself eat extra calories today and ate a breadstick and had some sprite that put me over by 500 cals. So i had 1948 calories today.
What does everyone else do when they're sick?

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've got a pretty bad cold and I'm wondering if you burn extra calories when you're sick?
    Should I be eating more or less calories than usual?
    I let myself eat extra calories today and ate a breadstick and had some sprite that put me over by 500 cals. So i had 1948 calories today.
    What does everyone else do when they're sick?
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting a cold/allergy thing and I didn't want to eat, but wasn't sure either, so I forced myself to eat. I would think the immune system is working hard to fight the bug, so you'd need calories for energy. Not sure and with a fever, fluids could be the best thing.
    I still fought to get to the gym and the cardio reduced my coughing attack! Go figure! Hope you feel better and I would certainly keep a good fluid intake. Feel Better!
    150768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Binxy2004
    Binxy2004 Posts: 65
    Options
    The real key is to keep fluids, i dont think you burn extra cals when your sick just get dehydrated faster because of fevers. I would keep my cal intake the same making sure more then ever to get ALL my water and mabye some electrolytes
  • ClaudiaRN
    ClaudiaRN Posts: 20
    Options
    Binxy2004 is right, you need to drink plenty of fluids. You don't use that much more calories when you are sick but you do get dehydrated more easily. so push the fluids and it will help keep your hunger down as well. Hope you fell better soon.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have been sick sense Friday.....wierd sickness, migraines and weird nauseated feeling. I did workout on Friday...and after felt yucky, so sat I took a break. Stayed in my cals. Did not workout sat or today, did workout for 20 mins yesterday an dit killed me, but again stayed in my cals......and drank lotsa water.

So drink the water and eat your cals and all should be fine

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Eat as many calories from good foods that you feel like eating and keep the fluid intake (especially water) up..........

Your body is fighting to repair itself............Lots of rest and good foods.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Stick with clear fluids and soups and bed rest is the best answer to this.

There is something the docs never tell and thats if you starve a cold now you can prevent yourself from starving the fever later.

I recently discovered that on a website but can't remember where the website is.

I rarely get fevers so there has to be some truth to it.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Yea, you won't burn extra cals, but the fluids will help to regulate your temp. Best of health.