Depression and anxiety eating

Options
Hi,

I am trying to change my diet to eating less and healthier. Eating is my go to comfort for my anxiety and depression. This has caused me to gain a bit of weight and I don’t like how I look now. I also don’t want to waste money on new cloths so I decided to make some changes.
My life style atm is very stagnant due to finishing my degree. I’ll be graduating in a week! Until then I’m in front of the computer almost all day for school. The only exercise I get is from playing Ring Fit on my Switch when I get the time and/or have the energy. I generally don’t have the energy to do much but I do push myself the best I can but my depression doesn’t help.

I would appreciate some tips or suggestions please.
Thank you in advance.

Ps. I am not on antidepressants or antianxiety meds and cannot get on them due to funds.

Replies

• BleedingOrchid
    BleedingOrchid Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Also does anyone know of a forum for eating disorder support that I can refer my friend too?
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I’ve also struggled with depression although i think my friends and family would be shocked to hear of it. What’s helping me right now is exercise and sugar control. i always feel better after yoga or at least a walk. i notice that excessive carbs, especially sugar, tend to make my moods jagged. i try to build in more protein, although it’s not always easy. I highly recommend reading mark’s daily apple (google the website) for insights into living healthily. You can start feeling better without meds 💪
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I also have depression and anxiety. I am on meds. To me meds are just like glasses, they help you see but they won't help you read a book if you won't pick it up.

Anyway, I think I'm larger than you are. But walking outside is nice when it gets a little warmer. Slow is fine when you don’t have a lot of energy. Just take in the things around you. I have a dog so it works out nice. My bed/bedroom is my safe place when feeling extremely blue. I will do some legs lifts along with other things in my room.

As far as eating, I have to not bring it into the house. If I do treat myself, I buy one. Previously I would saying well ice cream is 2 for $5 or $3 each, let me get 2. Now I don't get it frequently and view it as a treat. I also starting trying to see my food as an investment in myself. One last thing, when I first started I looked up healthy meals and all these things which was great but too bog of a change for me. Plus I love snacks- now they will be sweet bell peppers, Apple, yogurt, banana, pretzels or anything else but I follow the serving size. Also get a food scale. You got this :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Have you tried full on calorie counting? That’s calculate a modest calorie deficit, start a food diary, use a food scale to crunch the numbers and make a plan to try to hit your calorie target. It works. But there is a significant learning curve. Keep your food diary no matter what. When you go over your number, work to try to avoid a repeat. Identify and solve problems one at a time.
    Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence.

Don’t go to pieces is you have to tinker with the numbers to find a livable calorie target. And its a two part process- a calorie deficit and living with it. The best plan is one we will actually follow.

Exercise is overrated as a weight loss tool. Does great stuff for our bodies and brains though. You might find some mental health benefits.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I had to find different coping mechanisms and work on reducing my anxiety for it to have a long-term impact on my eating habits. Essentially, I had to make food less important.
  • BleedingOrchid
    BleedingOrchid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the insight.
    It’s been about 2 weeks since I started and I have already lost about 5 lbs. Counting calories has actually been kinda fun, like a quest, and has actually been fairly easy with this app. I have been feeling a bit of energy returning and hopefully it will continue coming back.
    Since the stay-at-home order my anxiety has greatly reduced and my depression hasn’t shown its ugly head. I also graduated with my Bachelors degree so I have been over the moon!
    I will continue with my healthier habits and continue improving on them👍🏻
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Just my 2 cents... Really try to get in touch with what is making you anxious. I have really high stress (though not a lot to be stressed about) - I blame it on imbalanced hormones and being "too much in my own head". I'm reading a lot about it lately, and there are tons of techniques out there to help reduce stress and anxiety.

I like a little book called "Coping With Anxiety" by Edmund J. Bourne & Lorna Garano, or just google strategies: yoga, deep breathing, tai chi, mindfulness, etc, and check for videos to follow along with on YouTube. (Qi Gong is my favourite)

Best wishes!