Home Gym Crossfit Style Knee Injured

Options
Hi, I'm in the process of building a mini home gym. For the moment I have an olympic Barbell, plates, a rope, trx and a couple of crappy dumbells plus a peloton bike. I'm doubting wether to put the cage to hold the barbell for squats or the bench for chest press.

My issues is I have a bad injured knee with 3 surgeries on it. I'm 41, tore all the ligaments and have all fixed but the acl. Also I'm overweight, I weigh 227 pounds and I'm 6 foot with 32% body fat. My slim weight should be around 180 pounds. I do come from 251 pounds last summer but I'm still very overweight.

I can't do 1 pull up, can't do 1 standard push up ( can do 10 kneeling down ). I bench press 2 22 pounds plate + the bar comfortably. Pushing a lot I can reach 2 plates of 33 pounds plus the bar.

I've just started deadlifts and the barbell of 44 pounds plus 1 22 pounds plate on each side allows me to do 10 reps but suffering a lot. Not even thinking in trying to lift that to my chest or over my head. With an small bar I have and 2 small plates that adds all in to 40 pounds I can lift to my chest and over my head and walk doing lunges or squats.

Any recommendations ?

I don't know how to build a program that makes me evolve, don't know how to keep track of it or what I'm supposed to be doing.

Thanks

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Honestly, I'd consider a Landmine attachment. I have a terrible right knee I injured 12 or 13 years ago when I was your age (I'm 55 now). At the time, it was so bad that a total knee replacement was recommended but I was too young then (they only lasted 15 years then).

Landmines are cheap if you get the ones that can be held by plates. You attach your Olympic bar to it and you can do Goblet squats, overhead presses and even deadlifts with one arm. There are a whole slew of things on YouTube you can find to do with a Landmine attachment.

Do what you can do. I found that wide lunges are possible, but not narrow ones. I can do Goblet squats all day without pain. The Peloton is great. Keep working at losing weight and counting calories. Taking off the weight will help tremendously. Get your ACL repaired if you can. I destroyed my knee going years without one and was just demonstrating a zone D, while coaching B-Ball, when my knee decided to completely dislocate and the meniscus shredded off the bone (they used the term non-repairable, which is quite a scary term!). Took me two years to be able to walk again without a huge limp.

I've lost all my weight and kept off 70 plus pounds for around 10 years and workout six days a week for an hour a day (I do the rowing machine). Just biked 10 miles after an hour row today! No knee pain any more most of the time.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd consider a Landmine attachment. I have a terrible right knee I injured 12 or 13 years ago when I was your age (I'm 55 now). At the time, it was so bad that a total knee replacement was recommended but I was too young then (they only lasted 15 years then).

Landmines are cheap if you get the ones that can be held by plates. You attach your Olympic bar to it and you can do Goblet squats, overhead presses and even deadlifts with one arm. There are a whole slew of things on YouTube you can find to do with a Landmine attachment.

Do what you can do. I found that wide lunges are possible, but not narrow ones. I can do Goblet squats all day without pain. The Peloton is great. Keep working at losing weight and counting calories. Taking off the weight will help tremendously. Get your ACL repaired if you can. I destroyed my knee going years without one and was just demonstrating a zone D, while coaching B-Ball, when my knee decided to completely dislocate and the meniscus shredded off the bone (they used the term non-repairable, which is quite a scary term!). Took me two years to be able to walk again without a huge limp.

I've lost all my weight and kept off 70 plus pounds for around 10 years and workout six days a week for an hour a day (I do the rowing machine). Just biked 10 miles after an hour row today! No knee pain any more most of the time.

Wow Mike, so yeah you clearly know what I'm talking about. I broke my ACL at 18 had surgery and was perfect, and 2 years ago skiing y broke the repaired acl, the ICL and the LCL. It also touched a bit the PCL. Imagine my knee swinged from left to right while brushing my teeth, pretty scary. After surgery I'm more or less stable but can't think of anything like running / jumping.

So yes I'm doing Keto and working out while trying to learn some of the basics of crossfit, on the weightlifting, skipping the jumping. Unfortunately can't do pull ups, or rings for my weight / strength but starting on it.

Day by day, it's a journey!

Thanks for the tips.

Rob.
  • WilliamMarshall1219
    Options
    I'm doing Megan Calloway's PullUP programme. It's expensive but semi-often on 30% off. It's really really good and builds up all the stabilising muscles in shoulder as well. I'm now very close to doing 10 strict pull ups. She has also just released a landmine routine for the same price.