Calories?

Options
If I consumed 1555 calories today and burned 300 through excercise. If I minus cals burned it equals out to be 1255 for the day. Is that the same as if I were to just consume 1200 calories? I want to consume the least amount as possible to try and get out of my plateau but I don't want to go down to low since I'm working out and 1200 alone is hard. I seem to do fine with minimum 1500. Lately I have been consuming 1600-2000 calories so I'm going to try and stick to this calorie limit consistently to see if that helps with weight loss and work out 5 days for 45 minutes high intensity.

I'm determined to reach my goal with in next couple months would be amazing

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It's your net calorie that is relevant here. If you consume 1,555 and then burn 300 through intentional exercise, it's the same as eating 1,255 and not doing the exercise.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been stalled? Technically it has to be a min of 6 weeks no change, because weight loss isnt linear and it's normal to not have any changes sometimes for a couple weeks due to water weight changes etc fluctuating up and down, potentially masking any loss
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of numbers between 1600-2000 and 1200/1255. Why pick the lowest option?
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been stalled? Technically it has to be a min of 6 weeks no change, because weight loss isnt linear and it's normal to not have any changes sometimes for a couple weeks due to water weight changes etc fluctuating up and down, potentially masking any loss

Two months I have stayed between 138-140
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    And you're absolutely sure you are using correct entries from the database and you are using a food scale to weigh food?
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    There are a lot of numbers between 1600-2000 and 1200/1255. Why pick the lowest option?

Trying to get out of my plateau and I'm finding since I haven't been strict to one set calorie limit I'm not going anywhere. I know 1200 I'll lose about 2 pounds a week. It would be nice if I could lose 1-2 pounds a week so i can lose the rest of my weight and focus on maintaining/building muscle.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    It's your net calorie that is relevant here. If you consume 1,555 and then burn 300 through intentional exercise, it's the same as eating 1,255 and not doing the exercise.

Ok thanks :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    how much do you have to lose?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Trying to get out of my plateau and I'm finding since I haven't been strict to one set calorie limit I'm not going anywhere. I know 1200 I'll lose about 2 pounds a week. It would be nice if I could lose 1-2 pounds a week so i can lose the rest of my weight and focus on maintaining/building muscle.

If you want to maintain muscle I would highly recommend you do it now while you lose weight. After you get to goal you can focus on recomp to build.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options

10 pounds
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

If you want to maintain muscle I would highly recommend you do it now while you lose weight. After you get to goal you can focus on recomp to build.

Ok thanks
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    With only 10lbs to lose, you will likely only be able to achieve half a pound per week loss, you shouldnt be eating below 1200 net calories and the amount between that and your maintenance isnt very much
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

10 pounds

That might be the source of your problem. You may be experiencing physical stress from the weight loss if you have been trying to lose 2 pounds per week with so little left to lose.

You should probably take a diet/deficit break which will allow many of your hormone levels to return to their normal levels and your BMR to return to its "fed" state.

Here is a good thread to read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I am not sure how often you need to take a break with 10 pounds left to lose but I know it is often.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how often you need to take a break with 10 pounds left to lose but I know it is often.

Ha.

When I had 10 to lose I took a break every other week.

I had to.

Hungry.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Thanks everyone