Nutrients va Macro?

Options
What’s the difference between the two tabs? They both state different daily goals for me and I’m unsure which one to follow.

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Macros are what calories are made up of. Carbs, protein and fat.

Nutrients are the nutritional make up of the foods

For weight loss, all you need to do is eat the calories mfp gave you.

The purpose of macros is based on your own needs, a lot of people like to hit their protein and fat goals and then whatever is left is carbs or whatever they choose.

The reason for this is because of supporting their lean muscle and satiety as these things make us feel fuller longer, but not everyone is like that either, other people find carbs more filling, so they would fill their carb goal first and then handle protein and fats afterwards.

It's entirely up to you how you want to do it, whatever makes you feel satisfied through the day.

Nutrients are other things that make up foods and these things may not be of any real importance unless you have a medical condition and need more or less of something or you are just choosing to have more or less of something. Some people choose to watch sodium in their diets for example.

In the end tho, follow calories for weight loss.
  • gingermccraw
    gingermccraw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow a keto diet
  • gingermccraw
    gingermccraw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have a keto country
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    @gingermccraw

I'm not really sure about what you mean by "keto country"

If you mean counter, then no, because like most diets, it's still based on calories in and calories out.

And just like any diet following calories in, you are responsible for managing your macros, and choosing the foods suited for your preferred diet choice.

Mfp will display how many grams of fat you have eaten and display actual carbs but you will also need to self manage your net carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    What’s the difference between the two tabs? They both state different daily goals for me and I’m unsure which one to follow.

I assume you're talking about the 2 tabs under "Nutrition" in the MFP phone app? (Not clear.)

The nutrient tab shows your progress for a day/week in terms of grams (for macronutrients and some other stuff), milligrams (for some micronutrients and cholesterol), or percentages of recommended daily allowance (other micronutrients). It isn't necessary to be exactly exact every single daily, but your goal in an ideal world would be to be very close to the goal column. (But it's important to understand that the food database doesn't have accurate information for micronutrients, especially, because those may not be on product labels, so you can appear to be under on some of those but actually be OK.)

The Macros tab is just the actual macronutrients, represented as a percentage of your calories. The pie chart shows where you actually are for the day or week (based on what you've logged so far) in percentage-of-calories terms. Underneath, it shows the goal percentages that you put in your profile (or the default ones, if you didn't override them). Here again, while it's good to be close, it's not important to be exact.

So, it's similar data, but presented in different ways, since some people like to look at data differently depending on your goals.

Neither of these have direct effect on weight loss, at least in the short run. That's all about calories. Even in the long run, weight is about calories, but your nutrition can affect how full you feel (so how easy it is to stick to calorie goal) and how good your energy level is (so how active you'll be in daily life), either of which can have an indirect effect on weight loss by making you eat more or move less, in a poor-nutrition scenario.