Clothes are small??

Options
Hey guys,

I have a quick question, (not sure if you have come across this or seen this before). So about a year ago, I fell into a little bit of a depression and while it was my last year of college I didn't really care to much how I looked or what I wore and hence started to wear sweatpants (I have so much lol) till about now.

While my goal has been to lose weight (overall I have a lot of fat over my thighs and abdomen), I know for a fact I have maintained the same body weight for the whole year I continuously wore sweatpants. (I weighed myself all year around)

However now, I am trying to continue on my fitness journey and decided to wear my actual jeans again. Here is the crazy part, they feel so tight like I can barley breathe in it. Even the buckle has a hard time closing and I remember for a fact that my jeans are not too tight and not to loose.

Has this happened to anyone? Any thoughts? I also started to strength train again, does this have anything to do with it? I'm keep thinking I gained so much weight, I'm kind of freaking out. It took me so long to figure out why I couldn't lose weight (I have pretty high insulin).

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Where have you been doing your weigh in? Is it on a digital home scale? It could need new batteries if it's reading the same number over and over.

If I gain even 5 pounds it affects my jeans...

Weight training would generally cause temporary water retention - but that would show on a working scale.

Then after you settle in with weight training, you would be getting smaller, not bigger in the waist...

Change the batteries.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Just because the scale didnt move much, doesnt mean it's not impossible to add an inch to any part of our bodies.

Same as we can lose weight and the scale might not move but our measurements can change.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    My body fat tends to shift around over time, especially if I switch off between loose and tight clothing over long periods.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind muscle is more dense than fat, so 1 lb of fat takes more space than 1 lb of muscle.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When I started teaching full time, during that 5 week holiday break period I was in sweatpants the whole time ... yes, my jeans "shrunk" during that time, too, even though the holiday scale weight gain was quite modest - like maybe 3#. Here's another thing I noticed - clothing that fit at a given weight back in the day no longer fits at the same weight now - more fat per pound, I am thinking, and that takes up more room than muscles. When you start training seriously, you can retain water all over and that makes a difference with clothing. But what you are describing sounds less like water retention to me. But be encouraged because in the long run you are taking charge and before too long those things will fit comfortably again!