Frustration

Options
Hello
I am looking for some advise on how to proceed. I started in earnest with MFP in January. I've been tracking honestly daily. I aim for 1500 calories a day. However I am not loosing weight.
I lost approx 18pounds over 25 weeks. I thought it would be more. I was working out 3-4 times a week. Also It was not consistent - 1 pound, half pound, nothing nothing nothing 4 pounds etc. For the past while I have not lost any weight.
I'm wondering do I increase or reduce the calories? Is it the combination of food? Is it lack of water?
I keep hearing that if you are in a calorific deficit you WILL LOOSE WEIGHT that it's impossible not to!!!!

I am 45, F, 230pounds and I'm 5ft 1. I have used the manual calculations that puts me at 1539 to loose 1.5 pounds a week. Again.......... that's not working for me.

ANY IDEAS - please.
Bear in mind I'm still learning so if this is obvious to some more experienced folk... be kind!

Thank you

Replies

• Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Up your cardio by 15 minutes a session and track everything you put in your mouth..no matter if it's just a "bite".
  • karld70
    karld70 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think the above posts are to be taken more notice of than mine but I just wanted to add one thing that I have seen a couple of times with folks I know. Exercise... Specifically exercise that builds muscle. If over a period of time you've been weight training or building muscle this can add to your weight even though your losing fat. Now I'm not saying this is you but it's something to consider for you or anyone else reading this. The best way to figure if your still getting success at fat loss in this situation is with a combination of scales and a tape measure. Sometimes when the scales don't move as much as you like the tape does.

Obviously don't use this as a convenient excuse to yourself for not losing weight. Don't kid yourself it's muscle mass when it isn't, and again I'd refer you to the above first. But just something to bare in mind
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    karld70 wrote: »
    I think the above posts are to be taken more notice of than mine but I just wanted to add one thing that I have seen a couple of times with folks I know. Exercise... Specifically exercise that builds muscle. If over a period of time you've been weight training or building muscle this can add to your weight even though your losing fat. Now I'm not saying this is you but it's something to consider for you or anyone else reading this. The best way to figure if your still getting success at fat loss in this situation is with a combination of scales and a tape measure. Sometimes when the scales don't move as much as you like the tape does.

Obviously don't use this as a convenient excuse to yourself for not losing weight. Don't kid yourself it's muscle mass when it isn't, and again I'd refer you to the above first. But just something to bare in mind

A really good muscle mass gain for a woman would be a quarter pound a week, under ideal conditions (double that, for a man). Ideal conditions include a well-designed progressive strength training program faithfully performed, excellent nutrition (especially protein), relative youth, and favorable genetics. Since OP is 45, and has lost weight so has been at least periodically in a calorie deficit, she sadly hasn't gained enough muscle in 25 weeks to cover up any meaningful amount of weight loss, even with beginner advantages. We don't know what her exercise program has been, either.

Now, in the abstract OP certainly can gain muscle mass (I did, at her age), and might even do so more readily as a beginner, but if she has, it will've been dwarfed by the 18 pound weight loss.

OP, the folks digging into how you log food, how you calculated your deficit, and how long your weight has stalled . . . they will get you on the right track.

I'd note that a factor lately for many people, regarding their weight loss rate, is that their daily life activity level has in many people's cases has been cut back substantially by their compliance with "shelter at home" orders. If you lost 18 pounds in 25 weeks, that's approximately a 694 calorie daily deficit averaged over the time period. Losing a couple hundred calories of daily activity (easy to do), added to normal water weight fluctuations, plus maybe some extra stress-related water retention . . . well, there could be the appearance of a stall for a short time, and if so, the answer would be patience. That may or or may not be it - the others' questions will get you further down that road. But it's a possible contributor.