MFP sync with pacer app - calorie burn

Options
Hello! I synced my pacer app with MFP and it logged my 1hr 30 min bike ride + 14,000 steps as 1015 calories burned for the day, which to me seems like a lot. How accurate are these apps at tracking calories burned? For what it’s worth, I am a 5’7 120lb female, and MFP is set to “lightly active.”

I’ve been struggling with determining my daily caloric needs, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Start with eating back 50% of them and over a couple months see what is happening on the scale and compare it to your goal of either gaining, losing or maintaining.. if you wanna maintain and you do, keep eating 50% if not add or subtract by 100 calories and watch progress again over a couple months
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between a one time activity and your regular activity.

If you're syncing apps, you don't know the final sync numbers till midnight, when all synchronizations become final. If you're activity was early in the day, you're looking at a number that is currently higher than it will be at midnight unless you continue to outplace your MFP pre-selected activity level.

You seem to imply that your bike ride of 1.5 hours was on top of the 14,000 steps.

Your 14,000 steps by themselves, "converted" to an MFP activity level, would bump your activity to very active instead of your selected lightly active. So you can easily see the APPROXIMATE calories that would accrue because of them (the number is 0.4 * your MFP BMR from https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator)

You would then add your actual bike ride burn in excess of your MFP lightly active calories of BMR * 1.4, A lot would depend on how fast your bike ride was and on the terrain that was at play.

Sounds like a nice day!