Something to mix with protein shakes...low sugar?

Options
So I guess I need to start watching my overall sugar intake. I like to mix my protein shakes with skim milk...but the milk has 12 grams of sugar in it. :o/ What do you use that is low in sugar and has a nice creamy flavor? Water doesn't count. ;o)

Also, not sure how many sugar grams are in almond milk...but I have a food sensitivity to whole almonds (really mess up my tummy, bloat and pain). Would almond milk still trigger that sensitivity (probably a stupid question but never hurts to ask)?

Replies

• kacy123
    kacy123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It doesn't give it a creamy texture but sometimes I mix my Vanilla Ice Cream Protein with crystal light (and water of course). Its not bad. Or Silk Light Vanilla Soy milk has 5g sugar in one cup. Its not bad either.
  • inclover
    inclover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could give So Delicious - Unsweetened Coconut Milk a try!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I'm not sure with almond milk, but you could also try out rice milk, coconut milk, or soy milk. All are great options. Or if you do find that you have to mix it with water, adding peanut butter is a great option to give it a creamy consistency. Better 'n Peanut Butter is a lower calorie option with less sodium as well! It does take a bit of experimentation though. For me (and I tell this to everyone), I add in almond milk, peanut butter, a banana, and some ice. After it's blended, it just tastes like a tasty shake. I completely forget that it's actually really good for me!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with water or almond milk.
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I use water and it comes out creamy. It must be the brand you are using, try something else next purchase.I have had ones that were watery before when mixed with water, But the body-tech one I am using now comes out nice and creamy even when mixed with 16 oz of water. Also your shaker cup makes a difference, I had a blade type before but now I am using one that has a whisk ball in it and whips it up much better with just 30 seconds of shaking
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of Astro Balkan Style yogurt only has 3g of sugar. Granted it has 100cals but it's so thick that if use just 1/4 cup, dilute it with water to make a full cup, that comes out to just 1.5g sugar and 50 cals. :)
  • babyru527
    Options
    i mix my vanilla protein mix with diet orange soda...tastes like a creamcicle....love it :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to watch sugar intake ignore MFPs recommendations. MFP doesn't differentiate between natural sugars from fruit etc and sugars added into foods/drinks.

I do 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup mott's all natural no sugar added applesauce, 1 cup frozen fruit and 1 scoop of GNC protein powder.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of whey protein to about 8 ounces of diet coke and a shot of concentrated lemon juice.(Real Lemon). Just watch out the soda bubbles over if you are not careful.
  • gmann1973
    Options
    muscle and fitness suggest mixing it in Gatoraid not bad before a workout gives u a good carb and protein