Am i doing this wrong !!!!

Im over 23 stone and 6ft 9 "
My calorie allowance is around 2250 per day but i Normally have around 800 left per day . I am losing weight but not very fast and wondered if im doing this wrong

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    How much is "not very fast"?

If you are in an 800 calorie/day deficit than you should be losing about 1.5 lbs per week.

How long have you been in the 800/day deficit? What is your MFP loss per week setting?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    More information is needed. How many pounds have you lost in how many weeks. Are you active? Have you started a new exercise routine? Is your calorie count completely accurate? Or are you still figuring that part out?

With a calorie allowance of 2250, I’m guessing you told MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. Why are you eating so much less than the calories allowed?
  • rundle5103
    rundle5103 Posts: 3 Member
    Have been losing on average around 2lbs per week but with so many calories unused each day i thought i would lose more . I am walking each day with the dog at least 2 miles.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Time for some reverse engineering.

If you're losing 2 lbs per week, then you're running a daily deficit of 1,000 calories, all inclusive of your food consumption, exercise, any inaccuracies in your calorie measuring and counting, any off meals, off days, or binges - everything. So add 1,000 to however many calories you're eating (not the 2250 you're "supposed" to eat, but what you actually eat on average) and then you'll know what your true break-even calories are, not from an online tool but your own body and the totality of everything you do and eat everyday.

Once you know your break-even calories, you can pick a calorie deficit to lose any amount your want per week, by subtracting 250 from your break-even for every 1/2 pound per week you want to lose.

Obviously it is much easier to stay on a diet and achieve your weight loss goal if your deficit is moderate than extreme, like 1 to 1.5 lbs/week. I did 2 lbs per week for 5-6 months and it got quite tedious so I had to ratchet it back to something I could live with. I think that's a pretty common experience.

(It can take 6 weeks to get a true picture of your fat loss rate. If you've been at this for less than 6 weeks, you should probably just plug away, enjoy your 2 lb per week victories, and wait until you get to 6 weeks before changing anything up)
  • rundle5103
    rundle5103 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply . And ill take all your comments on board . Means a lot xxx
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    Suggest that you seriously concentrate more right now on the mechanics of logging.

And on the types of food you eat.

And on figuring things that you find more vs less satiating.

And less on trying to exceed 2lbs a week.

Also, you're quite tall so i would have to run your numbers to gauge whether going faster is even that great for you right now. What is the top of normal range for you?

To retain your weight loss you're setting off on a minimum 5 year weight management adventure. You're not off to lose weight for a year and then you're fine.

So... think about long term habits and choices.

Think about what your menus would look like.... at normal weight maintenance.

That should still create a large deficit right now