Anyone do the Couch to 5k program?

Options
If so, what week are you on?

I am on Week 6...just completed Day 1!!! I love this program! Just wanting to see if anyone else did or does this?

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm just behind you in progress, doing Week 5 Day 3 today! Feel free to add :bigsmile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Did it last year and turned me into a runner! Saved my life... literally.

Good luck!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've got one more day and then I'm going to try and get my speed up. Considering I've never ever jogged in my life, I can't believe I am now happily (reasonably. Lol!) running for 35 minutes at a time! Fantastic program for non-runners everywhere.
  • brandihutchinson
    Options
    I'm on week 6, I did week 5 twice because I wasn't so sure I could jog for a full 20minutes, but I did and I'm SOOO proud of myself!!! I'm very excited about what this program is doing for me!
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm starting on Tuesday, very excited about it.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    started it as part of my recovery program from heel/achilles surgery....love it...great program for a former absolute NON runner to someone who actually enjoys a good wog (cross between jog and walk...I am not to fast)
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Beginning Week 7. its amazing to see how far I have come when I used to be on the brink of death attempting to run 30 seconds. :wink:

It's a great program. I am so glad I found it! Hopefully will be running my first 5K this october.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I completed it in June. Loved it. I've been running a 5k atleast 3x a week for about 2 months now! Most i've done is 7 miles so far. Currently training for 10k & half marathon.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    week 4, day 1. couldn't do the second 5 min run, mostly cause my mind quit before my body did. for me it's become a total mental fight rather than a physical. oh it's hard, i'm fat andout of shape, but it's harder mentally for me. but i will not quit. i have plans to run a 5K on new year's eve. gonna do it too. one way or another.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    week 4, day 1. couldn't do the second 5 min run, mostly cause my mind quit before my body did. for me it's become a total mental fight rather than a physical. oh it's hard, i'm fat andout of shape, but it's harder mentally for me. but i will not quit. i have plans to run a 5K on new year's eve. gonna do it too. one way or another.

A lot of it is totally mental, you just have to get in the right mindset and don't let anything stop you. I really have to have that mindset today...the first 20 min. run is what I'm about to do in a little bit! :indifferent:
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    This week I start week 6. I got over that 2mi/20 minute hump and went for the distance instead..it took me 4 minutes longer then 20 minutes to run 2 miles, but i did it..most of it was all mental..kept saying I can do this, I can do this, along with some tunes I liked, it worked. :happy:
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of C25K folks here, it really is a fantastic way to get started with running if you've never done it before, or if you think that there's just noooo wayy you could ever run. Yes, you CAN run! Myself, I went with the NHS version <http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k>, because I liked the music better (ok, ok, and I found the young lady's english accent much more motivating...). I finished it just over a month ago and continue to run 2-4 miles a few times a week.

And I agree -- your BODY will be adapt more quickly to being able to run than your MIND will. Learning to tell the inner, gasping, out-of-breath voice to shut up and let you run...that was the big challenge for me! :)

You can DEFINITELY do it!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Loving it - I have W3D1 tonight.
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i did w4d1 today. it was pretty tough but i did it without stopping. each week when i look at how much jogging there is i think to myself there is no way i can do it but then i surprise myself. the first day of each week is tough but then as each day goes by it gets easier(ish). i jog really slow though but hopefully as time goes by i can improve my speed.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    LOVE the program!
  • cshapiro926
    Options
    I think the most amazing part of this program is the fact that it is doable... I, like some of the other posters, start off my next session looking at the time that I have to run and I say to myself holy crap - I CANT do that! Then I do it .... and its like the next time it increases I say the. same thing.... When I had to run 1 min I was okay after the first few days ... then i swore I could never complete 1min30sec... then I did it and I was fine ... then it was 2 min... and 3 min... Today was my FIRST 3 min straight run... (I have NEVER been a runner in my life) .... I couldnt believe myself when I was ABLE to do it... then all of a sudden 2 min runs and 1 min runs that had me spooked in the past seemed like a break!

I also agree that it is mental... I have found myself running to a good song and not even thinking about the time left and then I find myself distracted and thinking about how I cant do it and those times I am checking the timer like every 5 seconds!

At this poinst I am at W3D1 as of my next run and I have signed myself up for my first 5k for the end of October (my wedding is 11/11/11 and my goal is to run a 5k prior to then!)

I am so excited to also have found groups of people who enjoy and are in the same situation as me ... YAY@
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i start week 4 day 2 tomorrow
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have just completed wk1, I got to wk 5 but then got the job i have & gave it up. I will complete the course this time
  • amymbeasley
    Options
    Just walked in from finishing Wk2Day2...I have never been able to run in my LIFE, but I can already tell that I have more stamina and am more flexible. loving it!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Starting week 9 this week - running my first 5K this Saturday. C25K ROCKS! I have never been able to run to the mailbox and back before this program. Good luck!