Getting HR up without jumping?

Options
Hi everyone!

As many of us, I am trying to find a workout routine during quarantine that keeps me healthy mentally and physically. I have a Garmin watch that tells me what my heart rate is and how many calories I burn during a workout, and I try to get in my 150 "intensity minutes" workout for the week. Sadly, I found out that through my daily FB exercices I can never get there.
I unfortunately cannot do any jumping in my apartment as my downstairs neighbor complains heavily, so I only do Strength Training and low impact workout but my heart rate never seems to really pick up. Sometimes I am out of breathe after say side lunges carrying 40 pounds of dumbbells but my HR would still be at maybe 110 max, which does not count as intense. When I run, its at a consistent 160 and I would love to find ways to get my HR up while waiting for weather to be decent enough to run!
Would there be specific workouts I could do to break in a good sweat?

Thanks!

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Step aerobics is my go to. Even without doing extensive choreography and no jumping/impact I still get my heart rate high and get in an amazing sweat.

Adding 1 or 2 sets of risers increases the burn further, but it might make things noisy.

If you have outdoor space and if the weather is ok, maybe consider jump rope? It's another great burn.

Good luck!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just doing quick walks up and down the stairs? I was really bored one rainy day and just randomly started making my stairs a circuit. It was no challenge at first but by the time I got to twenty-something circuits of our 3 story house, I was feeling it and Apple Watch was recording a good workout. And I was sore the next day, something that hasn’t happened in ages.

I did it again a couple of nights ago, and couldn’t believe that 22 trips up and down both staircases and wide circles through several rooms each time racked up a mile.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wear something that protects you from the rain.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options
    Lots of things you can do without jumping. Preferring to live in a flat this is what I usually do:
    Do you have something to step onto? Do step ups and lift up the knee of the leg not on the step. down, repeat with same leg, or switch after each step up. Keep your core tight and your back straight
    Look up skaters, some kind of back lunge
    Do high kicks over the back of a chair: left leg to left, followed by right leg to left, then right leg to right, followed by left leg to right. Keep core tight (you should do this in every exercise anyway)
    over and under: imagine your climbing over a fence (legs over) and then crawl underneath it (swat down, stretch out one leg, then pull the other one through)
    If high knees is too noisy then make slower ones. I find it still gets my heartrate up
    side lunge with touch down: side lunge to left, touch down, from there straight to right, touch down, etc.
    I also found I can turn one-legged romanians into a cardio workout with a small, careful jump when changing leg after each rep
    I find I can do careful jumps. skateboards might be another option: squat down, come up, turn halfway round in air, squat down again, catching your jump while doing so
    Swimmers
  • shreddedkiwidad
    shreddedkiwidad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can:
    - Train outdoors if you can and layer up to keep warm.
    - Try some "Zuu" workouts. Perfect for indoor and no gym equipment needed.
    - HIIT training for 30 mins. eg 60 seconds or an exercise with a 30-second rest. Change intensity rounds and rest periods.

It's been hard with no gym and no gym equipment but it's forced me to find ways to still fitness regardless of my circumstances.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You can:

- HIIT training for 30 mins. eg 60 seconds or an exercise with a 30-second rest. Change intensity rounds and rest periods.

That's not HIIT but interval workouts. TO could also do the same without the breaks if the aim is simply to get up the heartrate. Doing a 30 seconds rest might be needed after really tough exercises, but then we're not talking about a 30, but a 20 minute workout.

Another option: burpies without jumping.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Are you on a beta blocker or a medication that keeps your heart rate low?
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges - while holding some weight, 10kg+ - keep up a pace
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Squats get my HR up. You can also use weights and press them overhead as you rise from the squat.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You can 100% get your heart rate up with a mixture of low impact cardio and strength moves structured accordingly. Try PHA, metabolic, and bootcamp workouts. Additionally, compound moves are going to get your heart rate up fast. But you need to structure your workouts to have very small rest between movements - keep up the pace. Check out Cathe Friedrich. You don’t have to do her workouts but that’s the type of format I’m referencing. Good luck!