Hi

Options
I want to get started with a routine at home but it’s not easy working 2nd shift 3-4 days a week and getting home late.

Is it better to do some cardio or weight training that night or the next morning or a combo of both?

I also lack discipline like doing a morning routine and actually getting up to do it!

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with getting your workout after you get home from work. Whatever is easier for you.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The best time to do any workout is the time when you are most likely to make it a habit and do it.
  • mrjon912
    mrjon912 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank u
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Find exercises that fit within an erratic schedule. Make your habit a todo list with things you need to accomplish each day regardless of what your schedule is.

example could be
    - hit calorie target
    - 100 jumping jacks
    - 20 pushups
    - 30 squats
    - 5 min plank
    - 15 bicep curls
    - 5 min stretching
    - 20 min walk or bike ride.

When I was in outside sales and just starting this journey my list looked like this.
    upper body calisthenics
    lower body calisthenics
    cardio

I forced myself to do it and check it off each day.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    mrjon912 wrote: »
    I want to get started with a routine at home but it’s not easy working 2nd shift 3-4 days a week and getting home late.

Is it better to do some cardio or weight training that night or the next morning or a combo of both?

I also lack discipline like doing a morning routine and actually getting up to do it!

Any help is appreciated.

I had a similar issue when my kids were little and time was very precious. When I tried to work out in the evenings after work and kids were down I'd get so hot and sweaty and ramped up that I couldn't get to bed at a reasonable time I'd be up for hours. Wasn't a fan of waking up early either. But, that turned out to be my best option. I'd put out all my workout clothes/shoes/etc, get up quietly at 5:00AM, go into the basement and go at it (as quietly as I could!) and try to be back upstairs, showered and ready to go to help get the kids ready before running off to work for the day.

I just had to make a choice: Was the workout worth the effort? If so, I had two times of day for options. Which one was LESS painful? Waking up early, getting it done and out of the way first thing is a great feeling. I still do that today (just not 5:00AM).

Extra benefit: slept like a baby at the end of the day, too.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    The best time to do any workout is the time when you are most likely to make it a habit and do it.
    So much this.

Most of my life I thought that mornings were when I should work out but I could NEVER get a habit going in the mornings. I like sleep too much, and I'd last a week or two before the lack of sleep caught up to me. It wasn't until I tried working out after work that I developed a consistent workout habit.
  • mrjon912
    mrjon912 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That’s where I’m at
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I workout a little bit all day. One set at a time. I call it Intermittent Interval Strength Training. It's actually a thing. And it really worked for me.