HELP! Gaining weight on Blood Pressure meds

Options
I had a scare about three weeks ago and was hospitalized with a possible stroke. Turns out I had a stroke in my eye. I was put on a BP medication with a diaretic in it. I lost 2 pounds and looked like i lost 10 pounds in my face. It caused sever chronic constipation. At my two week phone consult I told the doctor so he change my meds. I am finally regular again but I gained the 2 pounds back. I gained .75 inches in my hips, but lost 1 inch in the thighs, and .5 inch in the midriff. I am walking 30 minutes a day, on rain days on the treadmill. Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with BP meds and weight gain. I really want to lose at least 25 pounds. I thought about Keto, but I can't handle the constipation that comes with it. Any suggestions? Yes, I am taking a Fiber drink twice a day and getting between 25 to 35 mg fiber each day.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depending on what kind of BP med you are on - water retention is a side effect - you need to be working with your doctor and talking through issues, so that he can adjust level/type
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the inches too much at this point. It's very easy to get a slightly different position on the tape, leading to inaccuracies.

How many calories are you eating? How much sodium are you getting? Is the walking new?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Neither the initial loss, nor the current gain are related to fat levels and calories.

Of course water weight is an extremely important component of your total weight. And total volume may affect your health, especially in terms of blood pressure.

Also regardless of the accuracy of the tape measure, water still occupies space and affects the shape of your body.

but water is not something that we should be worried about manipulating in terms of fat level control.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Um, you did not gain weight on BP meds. You lost 2 then gained 2, so you are the same weight. Consider asking your doctor to refer you to a registered dietician for your weight loss and nutritional needs. It can be tricky with some medical conditions to get everything in balance. There are some foods that should not be consumed with certain BP meds.
    Tape measures can be a little iffy. If you don't place it in the EXACT same spot each time, keep it level all the way around, and use the same tension, there will be variation. I can measure myself twice in a row at the same time and get different measurements. :/