Hungry all the time

Options
amummystale
amummystale Posts: 18 Member
I've only been tracking for a few days but I'm finding myself so hungry. Is it just my body getting used to the drop in calories or should I up it? I'm 5ft 3, don't have a very active lifestyle and I want to lose about 5 stone. MFP gave me 1,520 calories a day

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what did you set your rate of loss as? are you logging accurately?
  • amummystale
    Options
    I set it at 1lb a week and am using barcodes and checking that it matches the packaging
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Eating less will often trigger hunger signals. I find that last about a week. 1520 isn't too bad though. Maybe increase that for a couple days and then slowly cut back. I find that getting enough protein, fat, and fibre makes a big difference in how hungry I feel. Maybe look at what you are eating and see if you can make some adjustments that are sustainable for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Like @nutmegoreo said, I'd work on incorporating more protein and/or fiber. That helps keep me full on lower calories.

Everyone is different, however, and you'll have to find your magic combination. ;)
  • amummystale
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look at what I'm eating and give it a week or so. I'll try and drink some more water between meals to see if that helps
  • amummystale
    Options
    This might be a stupid question but what sort of things should I be having to get more protein and fibre? I feel like 75% of my diet is carbs most of the time and I get lost coming up with other ideas. I eat meat daily and I eat lots of eggs
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For protein, eggs are really good I think. Do you like cottage cheese? I think it goes well with fruit or vegetables. I've substituted the starch (potato, rice, pasta) in my meals with cottage cheese.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just a thought - do you drink a lot of diet soft drink? I was drinking LOADS (and have done for years) and was constantly hungry, I mean ridiculously hungry . I am at 3 weeks today with none and it has literally changed my life, my appetite is a whole different story.
  • amummystale
    Options
    I think cottage cheese is ok, I never thought to use it as anything but a jacket potato filling. I haven't really drank any fizzy drinks since lockdown began
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This might be a stupid question but what sort of things should I be having to get more protein and fibre? I feel like 75% of my diet is carbs most of the time and I get lost coming up with other ideas. I eat meat daily and I eat lots of eggs

if you eat eggs consider adding an egg white substitute (whereas a plain egg is 50% fat/50% protein; egg whites are all protein) - it can help give you a boost
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

For protein, I usually have meats, dairy products, eggs, egg whites, and protein powder (when needed - lately it's more needed than usual, because I'm trying to get by on limited grocery trips). I have been more carb heavy lately myself, with everything going on, I've been baking my own buns, tortilla wraps, and biscuits, and they are so hard to resist. Fibre is mostly fruits, veggies, and legumes.

ayshamc wrote: »
    Hi, Just a thought - do you drink a lot of diet soft drink? I was drinking LOADS (and have done for years) and was constantly hungry, I mean ridiculously hungry . I am at 3 weeks today with none and it has literally changed my life, my appetite is a whole different story.

I know this is true for some people, but not for everyone. For me, I find it's a nice way to indulge a craving for a sweet flavour without adding a bunch of needless calories. This is important to highlight how different everyone can be.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Another protein idea - my breakfast every morning is plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and some frozen berries (allowed to thaw). I mix up the flavors of powder and the type of berry to keep it interesting. I'll do chocolate with strawberries, lemon with raspberries, vanilla with mixed berries, etc. My current favorite is vanilla with a serving of light cherry pie filling, reminds me of cherry cheesecake!

My breakfast is approximately 50 grams of protein by itself. If I don't protein load my breakfast, I never meet my protein goal for the day.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Oh absolutley! Was just a thought - I was drinking way more than just indulging a craving, I was just super surprised how not having it has affected me, I had heard it might but didn't realise it would be as much as it has.

Whatever works for everyone :smile:

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    Oh absolutley! Was just a thought - I was drinking way more than just indulging a craving, I was just super surprised how not having it has affected me, I had heard it might but didn't realise it would be as much as it has.

Whatever works for everyone :smile:

Definitely! It's worth looking at things from different angles to pick apart what might work.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Another protein idea - my breakfast every morning is plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and some frozen berries (allowed to thaw). I mix up the flavors of powder and the type of berry to keep it interesting. I'll do chocolate with strawberries, lemon with raspberries, vanilla with mixed berries, etc. My current favorite is vanilla with a serving of light cherry pie filling, reminds me of cherry cheesecake!

My breakfast is approximately 50 grams of protein by itself. If I don't protein load my breakfast, I never meet my protein goal for the day.

This is a great idea! What's the average calorie count for this? It sounds like a great summer breakfast.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

This is a great idea! What's the average calorie count for this? It sounds like a great summer breakfast.

With 170 grams of fat-free greek yogurt, about 30 grams of protein powder, and 70 grams of berries, around 350 calories.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest ways I know of to increase protein is to mix additional egg whites in with your eggs. You get 5 grams of protein for only 25 calories. To add more fiber I add vegetables to my eggs as well. My ratio of eggs to vegetables would make the dish more properly named vegetables with eggs. Spinach, onion, bell pepper, and riced cauliflower are very common ingredients for me.

Protein, fiber, and volume do the most for me. I add low calorie items to just about everything to bulk up the volume.
  • amummystale
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'll finish off today as planned (mostly due to needing to do a shop) then tomorrow I'll try swapping the ratios of foods around and make sure I drink lots of water
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'll finish off today as planned (mostly due to needing to do a shop) then tomorrow I'll try swapping the ratios of foods around and make sure I drink lots of water

You might need to adjust things a few times before you get it just right, but keep playing with it. You'll get there, as long as you don't give up!
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options

I am so glad you said that. I thought it was all in my head. I used to always have a Diet Soda with me and sipped on it all day long. I gave it up and found that I am less hungry. Snacking used to be a big problem for me and since giving up Diet Coke I rarely have the desire to snack.