Plant based tips

Options
I'm plant based (about 6 months) and keen to lose weight. Any tips?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It's the same as for any way of eating - weigh and track your food carefully so you can be sure you are eating in a reasonable deficit, and stick with it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Enter your goals and stats into MFP (make sure to choose a reasonable goal, 2 pounds a week is only appropriate if you have a lot of weight to lose). You'll get a calorie goal. That calorie goal is what you need to consistently hit in order to meet your weight loss goals.

Begin logging your food. Hit that calorie goal consistently. Make sure you're logging your exercise if you're doing it. MFP's intention is for you to eat those calories back, as the activity level you entered when setting your goals should only include your regular non-exercise activity.

Give yourself a reasonable period of time (say, 4-6 weeks) and check your progress. Sometimes people lose faster than expected and find they need to adjust to eat more. Sometimes people lose slower than expected and find they need to adjust to eat less.

There are no specific "plant based" tips, those of us eating plants lose the same way everyone does, through a deficit. Sometimes we find that we need to adjust our preferred foods a little to meet our nutritional goals. Getting sufficient protein is a issue we sometimes need to address, while other people sometimes struggle to get enough fat. If you have specific challenges, people may be able to help.

I've been vegan for about thirteen years and using MFP since 2015 (lost forty pounds, have been logging since then to maintain). In my opinion, it's a pretty good tool.

• KellyAnne_715
    KellyAnne_715 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes can be a great filler and sweet treat! Set oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an hour. Also skillet green beans and sliced almonds are perfect. Just choose your seasoning!