Can't remember when I've binged this badly :(

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I've gone from having 1 day on a weekend, to the whole weekend and now 5 days out of seven, binge binge binge. :( I've totally lost it. I count calories maybe once a week, otherwise all I'm doing is eating. In anticipation of eating, I can swear I feel my dopamine levels kick in. :/ Nothing, not a single solitary thing, is making me feel happy, except eating. But then we all know how that goes; you end up feeling miserable, ashamed, guilty, helpless, unworthy, desperate, undisciplined..........grrr.

Just letting it out. :( What really makes me ashamed is I've gone to the hiding and cover-up mode because my dh says things that *he* thinks are funny but hit me right in the gut. :( He takes cookies in his lunch, I'd been able to ignore them but not now. :( He sees crackers and bread disappear. He makes wise cracks.

I hate this. Loathe this. And am starting to dislike myself quite a DaMn bit too.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Vent away, but be kind to yourself. These are unprecedented times and you're certainly not alone with your binging/comfort eating.

I'm sorry your husband is making comments; unnecessary and unhelpful. 😠

Are you getting or can you get out for a walk each day? Do you have any crafts or hobbies you enjoy? 💕
  • karld70
    karld70 Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi reenie, first of all please don't beat yourself up, as nighthawk says your not alone. It's a psychological battle we've all been there, I know I have!
    The first thing that occurs to me is, sleep. If your not working or just going to bed later than usual that can mess with your cravings. Night workers are proven to crave sugary food. Good sleep kept to a good routine can really help your cravings and your mood👍.
    If you haven't already search the Web for some motivational quotes and find one that really strikes a chord with you and save it as you background on your phone so it keeps inspiring you to do great!
    Forget about where you were. This is where you are now.
    What plan do you follow, wws' calorie counting, wholefood diet? Whichever it is, switching to an alternative is a great way to enable yoursel to eat different foods and still loose weight and it can feel fresh and exciting again.
    Concentrate on what a, thinner you will be like, think about clothes shopping and buying amazing clothes and looking great, don't think about it being along way away, think of it being now, take 5 mins to think and FEEL it every morning when you wake up, what this will do is change your expectations of yourself and motivate to reach that goal. Yesterday you said today..
    I hope some of this helps but if you still find yourself robotically dipping your hand in the biscuit tin or scanning the fridge for grab food.... Don't berate yourself to harshly, it's not you, most people do it, even when they don't really want. It normal it's annoying and it's frustrating but it's normal. You WIll get back on the wagon, it might not be today, it might not be tomorrow, but one day you will wake up and say "no more" and it will happen. Failure is what gives success its flavour. Good luck, take care and above all whatever happens be kind to yourself. X
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you are deciding to count calories, perhaps look at counting them over the course of a week? So say you’re eating 1800 cals a day, that’s 12,800 calories of the course of a week. And count backwards throughout the course of a week.

This obviously won’t help with binging, I think that’s one thing you need help for as it does become this fulfilling need and you may need professional help. x
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My Happy Scale was red for the entire month of March :(

I reached out for a referral mid-March, and late March started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy via tele-health.

By April 13, my Happy Scale was blue, and a few days later hit green, where I have remained ever since. It hasn't been easy mentally, but the results are showing up on the scale.

If tele-health is not an option for you, consider this book:

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)