has anyone else stopped counting calories and how has it aff

Options
Hey all,

when I was in high school I had AN although I had relapsed a couple times in college. Ever since I started calorie counting I can see a couple traits of the obsessive AN coming back. So I have decided rather to just eat when I'm hungry and not focus on the numbers.... or the scale..

Has anyone else done this? And how has it effected you/your weight loss?

:)

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not really count calories. I count protein and carbs: 75-100 grams of each.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I did and gained weight. Because my mind will swear something is 4 ounces and its 8 ounces. I have to count. But, thats just me.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    As the PP said, I just pay attention to getting my carbs and protein
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I stopped for one year when I was an exchange student in Germany. I ate right, exercised, did not count a single calorie, and I still lost 3 pounds that year (and I must have gained some muscle playing badminton, because I lost 1.5 dress sizes when I was there).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I actually count to make sure I get ENOUGH just as much to make sure I don't go over.

Sometimes, I'm really not hungry. Sometimes I get busy and forget to eat, or at least have really poor eating habits. If I want to achieve and now maintain the level of fitness I wanted, I have to be sure I eat right.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my calories on here daily, but I think that since I've learned to eat better and learned WHAT to eat that I could stop doing the food diary and be okay. If I want to eat something out of my ordinary food or want to eat out I can still use the diary here to check my calories.

I don't see myself wanting to make a food diary every day for the rest of my life. I think the goal should be for us to learn to eat right and to eat the right portions so we can go about life and not have to be tied down to anything, like a food diary. That's MY opinion, although I know everyone has their own opinion.

Good luck....
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I count... I try to make entering in everything I eat and do (exercise) a habit. I actually make it a game. I try and see just what amazing foods I can cook and still be within my calorie count. It's helped me do as good as I've done so far. People are usually amazed at the foods I actually eat.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I count... I try to make entering in everything I eat and do (exercise) a habit. I actually make it a game. I try and see just what amazing foods I can cook and still be within my calorie count. It's helped me do as good as I've done so far. People are usually amazed at the foods I actually eat.
    This! I love making it like a game, I like "winning" when I get under my calories, lol. My friends are sometimes amazed at the foods I eat, too. They eat one burrito for 420 calories, and I have a sandwich, apple slices, yogurt, and carrots with ranch for the same calories, haha.
  • Hfxgal
    Options
    I agree with the above poster...I love when I can lay out a decent meal while my friends scoff down one big greasy burger...they are done in 5 mins and I am still munching!
  • nannatron
    Options
    hello sweetness <3

i find counting calories to be very triggering even if my intention is to eat to my bmr. when i don't count, i find it forces me to pay closer attention to my hunger and satiety cues so that i am not just eating because i have calories to spare. xx
  • vbowman_morris
    vbowman_morris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I did at first but once I got with my trainer and he explained nutrition more in depth to me and I understood, I no longer took to counting calories. Its not only about calorie intake/output, its 80% the type of foods you put in your body. Even though those 100 calorie packs only have 100 calories in them, look at all the yucky stuff in them. Sugars and preservatives. Just because a pack of cookies says 100 calories, they are still cookies! They arent healthy for you even though they are only 100 calories. If you stick to lean meats, veggies, low sugar fruits and complex carbs, you should be fine without the calorie counting. I do however make sure I take in enough protein every day because I weight train and complex carbs as well as protein are essential when exercising. Remeber, the more words you cant pronounce in the ingrediants on the package, the worse off it is for you. Low calories does not always equal healthy!! Hope this helps :) -Victoria