Chinese / how many calories

Options
Hi so Iv started dieting for couple weeks. I’m new to app . I’m considering getting a take away this week . (Munchie box - Chinese) worrying about how many calories are in it ? And if it’ll just set bAck my weight loss journey

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you get. Fried foods and very sweet sauces can be more calorie dense.

Panda Express seems to be pretty well represented in the MFP database, so I usually find their version of the meal to log.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Those "boxes" seem to have about 3x the calories what I'd need for the whole day. You could wipe out a week's deficit and then some, so yes it could well "set you back." But - without knowing what's in your box and how much of it you plan to eat and what your current intake and deficit and weight is supposed to be, nobody can say by how much. Instead of a box, which if it's what I am envisioning, why not just get fish and chips or a curry?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure what a munchie box for chinese food is to be honest - but like @kimny72 said you could use something like panda express to estimate. also chinese is typically higher in sodium so you could expect some water retention to occur
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To be honest if i was going to get a Chinese takeaway i probably wouldn't bother trying to log it. Its gonna be a large amount of calories, probably more then a days worth. I could probably order an oil free vegetable stirfry and boiled rice but then what is the point in ordering a chinese 🤣 I'd personally order what i want, and just assume its a *kitten* tone of calories, it was a treat im not gonna make a habit of and move on.

But then i get a takeaway maybe twice a year so i can do that. If you're ordering one regularly i would try doing a fakeaway recipe at home so you know the calorie content or order from a restaurant that provides calorie info?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Up until the pandemic, I had Chinese takeout for dinner once a week. It's not that hard to eat a calorie appropriate meal, as long as you mind your portion size. And I didn't just get plain chicken and veg, I only really avoided fried entrees. It just takes a little forethought and eating mindfully line it's a regular meal, not a special occasion.

Unless it is a special occasion, of course :smile:
  • Yogagrl444
    Yogagrl444 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of from Chinese that could be manageable and not too high cal, is chicken with broccoli & brown rice. Steamed vegetable dumplings could be good too, but definitely have to track how many you eat. Even ordering these can be high in sodium, so make sure you drink alot of water the next day to flush it out! Otherwise, enjoy and just watch portion sizes.