Im embarassed and scared that I need to lose 150 lbs

Options
Hi! I am 100% committing this time but i need to lose 150 lbs plus...im so scared and overwhelmed though! So many diets are in my brain that now im just confused🙄

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    There are other people on her who have lost large amount of weight or are in the process of doing so.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'so many diets' - do you mean different sorts of diets, like mediteranean, Atkins etc??

You dont need to go on a specific type of diet - you just need to eat less than you burn, ie stick to your calorie allowance.

Have you put your stats in to MFP and worked out what your calorie allowance is?

Hopefully eating reasonable nutrition along the way - but that is a separate issue.

if you are confused, read the stickies and ask questions - many people here to help you.

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    There are other people on her who have lost large amount of weight or are in the process of doing so.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'so many diets' - do you mean different sorts of diets, like mediteranean, Atkins etc??

You dont need to go on a specific type of diet - you just need to eat less than you burn, ie stick to your calorie allowance.

Have you put your stats in to MFP and worked out what your calorie allowance is?

Hopefully eating reasonable nutrition along the way - but that is a separate issue.

if you are confused, read the stickies and ask questions - many people here to help you.

This is good advice. These days, "dieting" is a big industry, with people literally getting paid to tell you that this thing or that thing is "the only way" or "will ruin your life."

For most people, most of the time, the only thing necessary to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. That's why this website exists. :wink: So you'll find a large proportion of people here advocating just counting calories, and making sure that you're doing it accurately. If you do that, the rest is simple. Not easy, but simple.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like, my diary's open so you can see that I still eat "junk" and lose weight. I lost 65ish pounds several years ago with this site, and I'm back again (because I didn't keep track, and crept up again). You can do this.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed....I have lost 100 lbs from my heaviest known weight from a couple years ago, with over 95 lbs since April 2019. The ONLY diet you need is the diet of accurate calorie counting and staying within your calorie deficit goal set up in MFP. Get a food scale to keep things as accurate as possible. Be consistent every day, and the weight will come off. Focus on the day at hand and getting through it and then the next and so on. You can do this!
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I do remember being embarrassed when I had my wakeup call - but it fuelled me in the beginning. I would begin by dropping "diet" out of the equation. You can probably gauge some of your foods that need eliminating or some of your behaviours that need ammending.

I started like this:
    1) buy a digit food scale
    2) weight and log everything
    3) stick to the calorie allowance
    4) move a little more

and it just started working ... then I saw that this was what everyone else on here does, and that it was a lot simpler than I ever realised.

Next I starting engaging in the community - via some challenges. ... and for now, take it one day at a time. Make today a good day. And if it's not perfect, don't worry ... pick yourself up and make the next day a good day.

Weigh yourself today and then in 1 week. The results will be there if you follow steps 1 to 4 above.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Chiming in, as the above posters have already pointed out, focus on one day at a time, get a food scale, log every day, even if you slip up!

I had 106lbs to lose and am half way now (at one point I had lost 75 but then put some back on over 2 years, oh well) and what I want to say, is that with more weight to lose, it's easier in the beginning - you stick to the plan now and you'll see the initial weight drop quickly which is such a great feeling!

Feel free to add me, too, my diary is open - as some others here, I also eat junk sometimes but make it fit into my daily allowance :)
  • ExerciseExtraFries
    ExerciseExtraFries Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi! New here 🙂 I have about 100-120 pounds to lose myself. You can do it!
  • ckivinurk
    ckivinurk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have about 100 lbs to loose. We can definitley do it :smile:
  • ssmith0903
    ssmith0903 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do this! Surround yourself with active and supportive members :)
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Something else to think about on the journey, you WILL see results along the way! After the first 20lbs, 40lbs, etc. you'll be buying new clothes, fitting into old ones, recognizing the small successes will keep you on the track to your ultimate goal.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi! I am 100% committing this time but i need to lose 150 lbs plus...im so scared and overwhelmed though! So many diets are in my brain that now im just confused🙄

@alynnhutchinson welcome to the club. Diets I have found in my case are basically worthless because they are not the way I had been eating for the prior 60 years.

Consider instead of doing a wholesale change in your Way Of Eat just eliminate only one thing at a time. Of course we must eat some protein and fat to keep from dying but there are many foods that we can stop eating forever if we so desire. Often even though fats and protein are required for life long term we may be able to reduce the calories from this form of foods.

Losing weight is simple but not easy. Losing weight and keeping it off 3 to 30 years is improbable.

Over time by cutting out just one item at a time we can evolve into a new WOE that can become a long term WOE. Cutting something out of one's diet for a week or a year seldom has any long term value. Trying to follow someone else WOE seldom works. Best of success.
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i was in the same position almost a year ago now, it does seem overwhelming at first. but little changes off the bat can make a huge difference! there is still room for enjoyment along the way. i agree with what's been said above about getting a food scale, being honest with your logging, and moving more! it doesn't have to be anything crazy either, just set a goal for walking a certain number of steps and the more that it seems easier, bump that up as you feel comfortable. the first 150 lbs i lost were a change in eating habits and literally just walking. you have to know that the sacrifices you are making will eventually get you to that goal. some weeks might be 3 lbs, some weeks might 1 lb, some might be 5! if you slowly change your mindset and introduce healthy foods to substitute for the junk, it will really help in the long term. i've been at this for about 10 months and i've lost 175 lbs - find a good support group, and they will help hold you accountable! i have faith that you can do this. i know that eventually i'll be able to enjoy some foods that i haven't in the last 10 months, but the tools i've picked up along the way and setting healthy habits i think can actually be long-term sustainable for life kind of things!