Frustrated weight not moving down

Options
I am 65 years old 5.1. I started the beginning of the year at 144 lbs. I have used mfp over the years so I went back to logging calories. I saw a drop in weight. It plateaued are 135 in February. Tried Noom and lost 4 lbs in a month so I went back to mfp. When pandemic started. I am faithful aboiut weighing measuring everything. I have increased my activity to walking 5 miles a day and this week have had 20000 steps. I am sticking to the 1200 calories. Yesterday I went from 128.8 from 128.6. While it seems no big deal I would have thought adding so much activity would have the weight coming off quicker. Because I am adding this activity, do I need to add more calories to lose weight? I try to stay around 1200. I also haven’t added a lot of weight exercises so wondering if at my age that is the ticket to dropping pounds. I also drink 64 oz water a day. My only reasoning is I might not be eating enough calories but I hate to add them at end of day just to force it. Thoughts?

Replies

• Loridunn55
    Loridunn55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. This was for one day, but I am actually .8 higher than a week ago today. I have followed calorie plans for years, and generally 1200 Calories and increase in activity would have at least .5 a week. So I can only guess my age is a factor and I am not sure how to resolve that. I feel
    Like metabolism is stuck And considering fasting one day a week to shake it up
  • Loridunn55
    Options
    Ok. I think age
    Must be playing a role. As I have gotten down much quicker even 3 years ago my goal is 120
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have crazy fluctuations. Don’t let that stress you out. I was up 5lbs two days ago, hormones & ovulation. Be patient and consistent. It takes time.

Are you using a food scale?
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Doesn't weight vary even through one day . mine does.
    Just think how fit you are now ,doing all that walking !
    I read that carrying weight is well tolerated when walking and carrying +10% body weight led to 13% more calories burned. Dig out the backpack !
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the last few lbs are the worst!!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far... but I am a little bit concerned with your plan that seems to involve the application of an unrelenting and large deficit....

You have to balance deliberate and unconscious activity.

20K steps involves the equivalent of a small hike (more than 3 hours of activity if walking).

Is this cannibalising any other things you used to do? An extreme example would be: I go out for 4 hours, come back and fall dead on the couch where I proceed to spend the rest of the day.

Yes, being extremely active (20K steps is above MFP very active) and eating calories for sedentary (as 1200 would HAVE to be) is a recipe for slowing you down as much as possible to conserve energy.

Also, I am not exactly sure what you're trying to do attempting to lose weight at the pace you are. 9lbs lost between January and February is extreme and suitable for a morbidly obese person. 1lb a week lost is also quite fast.

Daily weight fluctuations are NORMAL and mean nothing. Weight zig zags, it doesn't go in a straight line unless you're applying an extreme energy imbalance (and even then it would be unlikely to keep to a straight line).

That's why weight trend applications and web sites are so often recommended.

Increasing activity is likely to cause water retention for muscle repair. Increased stress is likely to cause water retention.

How much weight are you attempting to lose? Why are you not attempting to move at a much slower rate of 0.25lb a week at most as opposed to trying to apply huge deficits that may be starting to affect your energy levels?

Last, but not least, you may want to have a quick look at this: https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=5&hi=1&wl=128.8&us=1&ua=65&ue=0&gl=

and may want to consider that lean mass lost is extremely difficult to gain/regain as we age. The ratio of fat to lean mass lost deteriorates with a larger deficit...
  • Loridunn55
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. Sorry I was used to losing half a lb a week if I counted calories and add moderate activity. My calories are still around 1200 and I am more physically active that I had ever been. I only sit down for sewing and I am way for behind as I just not in the house as much. I don’t notice that I am more fatigued, but I do think underlying stress may play a role. Guess I should look at some meditation or yoga. As for exercise During this pandemic, I have more time to not only walk, but I do the sport of dog agility which keeps me hopping and I have five acres to maintain. I have wondered if I should add more strength, weight bearing exercises to add muscle mass. It’s not something I have ever done, but thought it might help. I will keep in mind the water retention idea and see if I can be patient. I do make sure to eat the mfp protein recommendations, but if a little more would help, I can try that too. I have never tried a free weight training app.thank you for the recommendations. Anything to help identify if there aRe issues has been greatly Appreciated.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Your previous rate of loss was more than good. If you're seeing week to week continuous progress without ups and downs you're probably moving faster than 0.5lbs a week often with 0.5 lbs a week and normal fluctuations you will weigh more thirty days later on a random day than you did thirty days before and you would still show a weight level reduction commensurate to 0.5lbs a week

You're currently over doing it and as many who have gone thought this are fond of saying, you're fine with the large deficit till the day you're not and then it takes way longer to recover.

If you increased activity when losing at a good rate, you should increase energy intake to compensate.

What's the end goal? Weight? Strength? Energy? Did you have a read of the smartbmi link?

Try a two day refeed prioritizing carbs (eating at maintenance for a couple of days, getting there by adding extra potatoes, for example)

You can't easily eat the recommended amounts of protein while keeping to 1200.

Assuming 120g of protein, this means 480 Cal to protein. At least 30g fats is another 270... leaves about 110 Cal for carbs which is barely above lower carb eating! Tough to fit in a wide assortment of nutrients in that, right?
  • Loridunn55
    Options
    Not sure what a two day refeed prioritizing carbs is. A friend suggested I am not eating enough calories. End goal is multiple. I would like to be 0 lbs, and basically healthier. Stronger would be nice. By overdoing it, not sure what you mean. I don’t know about a smartbmi link.
  • Loridunn55
    Options
    One more question. Mfp adds calories for exercise. I never eat those. Should I be eating calories including exercise instead of 1200?
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Loridunn55 wrote: »
    One more question. Mfp adds calories for exercise. I never eat those. Should I be eating calories including exercise instead of 1200?

You are suppose to eat back the calories. Many people refer to this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4