Syncing strength training sessions

Options
I’m relatively new to MFP and love the app already. However, I’m little disappointed that the app doesn’t have an inbuilt feature to track strength training sessions at the gym like how it does for cardio. I lift weights 6 days a week and it would be a lot helpful if I’m able to sync the calories I burn during strength training sessions are synched to my daily diary on MFP. Can anyone suggest an app that would track the calories during weight training and then sync them with MFP?
On a side note , if anyone wants to be friends on MFP, my username is jackedjaquar. I would love to make some friends on MFP. Thanks for reading

Replies

• jackedjaquar
    jackedjaquar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I’m relatively new to MFP and love the app already. However, I’m little disappointed that the app doesn’t have an inbuilt feature to track strength training sessions at the gym like how it does for cardio. I lift weights 6 days a week and it would be a lot helpful if I’m able to sync the calories I burn during strength training sessions are synched to my daily diary on MFP. Can anyone suggest an app that would track the calories during weight training and then sync them with MFP?
    On a side note , if anyone wants to be friends on MFP, my username is jackedjaquar. I would love to make some friends on MFP. Thanks for reading
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Strength training does not have a high calorie burn, but you can track it here. In the Cardio database - select strength training and enter the number of minutes.
  • jackedjaquar
    jackedjaquar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I’m aware that strength training by itself doesn’t burn as much calories as cardio. But when you’re trying to be at sub 10% BF I feel every little detail matters. Thanks for the suggestion mate. I’ll look into it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    MFP is a calorie tracking app rather than a work out app and since the calories burned by strength training are relatively negligible when you add your lifts in to the app it won't credit with extra calories.

There is a cardio entry for strength training but I personally wouldn't trust the calorie burn from that entry as I think it's more geared towards the number of calories that would be burned during a short rest/high rep circuit training type strength routine.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just to counter @Danp’s personal opinion about the weight lifting cals burnt on MFP. (Not disagreeing just giving my experience)

I have used the entry in MFP for my lifting cals since ~2016 successfully.

I run a 3 day full body barbell routine and, because I’m older, lighter, smaller than quite a few people on here I get few cals even in maintenance.

Those 200 cals I get for 90min with plenty of rests (more time than stipulated) between sets is accurate within 10 cals of my personal data. (I’m in maintenance so it was easy to compare) without those cals I crash and burn rather fast.

The take away, if you have plenty of cals, (danp, I think, is close to 2x my weight and male) the cal burn may be negligible, but if you don’t, it isn’t.

Even though I’m not a great data collector, don’t keep spreadsheets, I do like to know my average cal burn for most situations, this gives me valuable info for adjusting my intake if I start losing/gaining, or my situation changes.

If I were you I would log the MFP cals for lifting and adjust depending on results.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    MFP is a calorie tracking app rather than a work out app and since the calories burned by strength training are relatively negligible when you add your lifts in to the app it won't credit with extra calories.

There is a cardio entry for strength training but I personally wouldn't trust the calorie burn from that entry as I think it's more geared towards the number of calories that would be burned during a short rest/high rep circuit training type strength routine.

Not positive, but I think it's based on (or at least close to) the 3.5 MET value associated with activity code 02054 ("resistance (weight) training, multiple exercises, 8-15 repetitions at varied resistance") in the Compendium of Physical Activities (https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/), so pretty much classic weight lifting. There's a separate entry in the MFP database for circuit training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go to Cardio, then the sub-listing for Strength
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Smart watches such as Fitbit does track/count calories for all activities. It's not 100% accurate but helps and it syncs with MFP