Yoga

Options
Are there others who enjoy yoga? If so, do you use an app for practice? Which ones?

Replies

• lokiidokiiartichokii
    lokiidokiiartichokii Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love yoga - I do at least 1x/week (I go to a physical class but also practice on my own) and have been doing that regularly for the past 2+ years. Since I can't go to my studio atm because of COVID-19, I've been using Down Dog and YouTube (yoga w/adrienne), I also have adapted poses that are part of my PT regime (like bridge/cobra push-ups)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like Yoga with Adriene. Free on YouTube. Took me a while to dig it, now I really enjoy it. I prefer Yin (stretch and hold) vs the more flowy stuff like sun salutations and vinyasa.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I discovered YouTube yoga last month. I am really enjoying it. I like Adrienne, Yoga Upload, and others. I have wrist tendonitis and there are a lot of "wrist free" routines. You can search for any modifications you want. It is really helping with my range of motion and muscular imbalances.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I can't imagine using an app for yoga. It would have to be something that had very little emphasis on visuals. It's hard enough keeping good form when you are looking at a TV.

I used to take classes and do videos in the 90s, but then developed my own routine when I got a new job that required extensive travel, and ever since prefer to not have to contort myself to look at a screen.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    W
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't imagine using an app for yoga. It would have to be something that had very little emphasis on visuals. It's hard enough keeping good form when you are looking at a TV.

Yoga with Adrienne has good explanation and with Down Dog you can vary the explanation’s complexity (from telling you exactly how to transition to just naming the new posture and an intermediate level of info). With both of these apps, I have them in, with the visuals but am mostly just guided by the audio. If it’s a new-to-me posture then I might sneak a peak at the image, but I’m not really “watching” it.
  • anshuman9373
    anshuman9373 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello there
    You may try Nike training club app. They have guided videos in there.
    Also, any of you guys using Apple Watch? We may add one another and keep ourselves motivated through the activity sharing app.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I enjoy an occasional class. I've had weeks at a time where I do daily yoga but I really don't like following a video (for anything), I prefer in class live yoga. With that said the Alo Moves app has a ton of content and it's put together well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i teach aerial yoga and now teach "power" yoga online for the studio. all of our classes are online. some on fb live for a private group. some on zoom.
    i don't like apps especially for beginners. alignment and cuing is key to avoid injury.
    in this current state of affairs, i would definitely take advantage of the online classes
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Find the Facebook pages for some local studios. Many are (or have, til they went to pay sessions later into the lockdown) posting free videos that area easily available.

Great way to sample local instructors, since everyone has their own style and presentation.

I’ve found that most are keeping the free public classes relatively low key, presumably for fear new practitioners might hurt themselves. In my area, it’s the pay and privately offered classes that are (finally) ramping back up to more advanced practices.

I much prefer an in-studio practice to a recorded one, and you might find one you love this way.
  • msannarichey
    msannarichey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yoga is the only exercise I don't dread :) Live classes are better obvs, but since that's not an option here (Indiana) atm, I've been using the Down Dog app. It's free until May 1, but I like it so much that I think I'll pay when the trial ends. Yoga Journal's FB page has a lot of high quality free yoga workouts in their videos, too.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I just started yoga....I'm on day 25 of the 30 days of yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. I absolutely love it! I'm going to stick with it after the 30 days. Adrienne has a lot of videos on YouTube.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I use Alo Moves. Love the variety/intensity/length of the classes. You can pick what you want to do/work on. You do have to pay $19.99/month. Worth it for me with the studio closed.

There are also great (free) tips on Insta. I have tons of bookmarks by category: arm balances, back flexibility, hamstrings, hips, the “I have a dream” section. 😂😂😂
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Peloton has fantastic yoga classes
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    BearAnthem wrote: »
    Are there others who enjoy yoga? If so, do you use an app for practice? Which ones?

I do yoga every day for the past 2 years. Got my start with a 30 day challenge and have not stopped since. It has made every part of my life better...

This page got me started...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCciuZl2ydLCvN5txlLW0rIg

Best of luck!