Lost and don’t know how much I should be eating

Options
I need some guidance to know if I’m on the right track. I’m 5’5 1/2, 126 lbs, and looking to drop body fat. I’m around 27% and gain it all in one area, so I look very flabby and bulgy in the hips. It looks to be too much on my very small frame. I work out four to five days a week - a mix of strength, cardio, and flexibility. But I’m pretty sure my diet is where I’m getting tripped up. Although, I am not sure in which ways it needs to be tweaked.

Currently, I’m just logging to get an idea of how much I really eat on a normal basis (without really restricting myself). I naturally end up at the 1450-1500 calorie mark at the end of the day. MFP has me at 1350 calories a day in order to lose .05 lbs a week but I feel like that’s awful low for calories and I’m pretty sure I will be starving all day if I ate that little. But I’m also calculating that 1500 would be maintenance for my height and weight, so maybe MFP is correct? I feel lost.

I will say, I have been struggling with losing any weight/body fat over the last few years. Seems like my body just stays the same even though I am not careless with my food and exercise pretty intensely. Perhaps I need to tweak macros? Eat less fat? Carbs? Any tips you guys have?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    ps - eat less carbs and fat only if you find protein satiating and thus easier to maintain a calorie deficit.

Macros only affect weight loss indirectly - some people find certain macros more filling than others.

People can lose weight eating vegan (higher carb) as well as keto (very low carb.)

My own sweet spot is around 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. And I find hitting my fiber goal very useful as well.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lollie1285 wrote: »
    I need some guidance to know if I’m on the right track. I’m 5’5 1/2, 126 lbs, and looking to drop body fat. I’m around 27% and gain it all in one area, so I look very flabby and bulgy in the hips. It looks to be too much on my very small frame. I work out four to five days a week - a mix of strength, cardio, and flexibility. But I’m pretty sure my diet is where I’m getting tripped up. Although, I am not sure in which ways it needs to be tweaked.

Currently, I’m just logging to get an idea of how much I really eat on a normal basis (without really restricting myself). I naturally end up at the 1450-1500 calorie mark at the end of the day. MFP has me at 1350 calories a day in order to lose .05 lbs a week but I feel like that’s awful low for calories and I’m pretty sure I will be starving all day if I ate that little. But I’m also calculating that 1500 would be maintenance for my height and weight, so maybe MFP is correct? I feel lost.

I will say, I have been struggling with losing any weight/body fat over the last few years. Seems like my body just stays the same even though I am not careless with my food and exercise pretty intensely. Perhaps I need to tweak macros? Eat less fat? Carbs? Any tips you guys have?

Hmm, so in your second paragraph it seems like you are not eating back exercise calories and are thus undereating.

But in your third paragraph you say you're not losing any weight.

So I'm wondering if you're doing a somewhat higher calorie version of this:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

So, what I’m finding is that I eat around 1500 calories before exercise and always have a little left over at the end of the day. So, I’m ending the day at 1500 with exercise included. I am allllll sorts of confused when it comes to this stuff haha. But yes, definitely not losing and absolutely no change in body shape which is driving me nuts!

When MFP said 1350 cals a day I kinda rolled my eyes and upped it to 1500 because that just seemed super low but maybe I’m wrong.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Hmm, so in your second paragraph it seems like you are not eating back exercise calories and are thus undereating.

So, what I’m finding is that I eat around 1500 calories before exercise and always have a little left over at the end of the day. So, I’m ending the day at 1500 with exercise included. I am allllll sorts of confused when it comes to this stuff haha. But yes, definitely not losing and absolutely no change in body shape which is driving me nuts!

When MFP said 1350 cals a day I kinda rolled my eyes and upped it to 1500 because that just seemed super low but maybe I’m wrong.

With 1,500 and activity you should be seeing some kind of change. I'm wondering if your logging accuracy is the issue and you're inadvertently eating more than you think you are. If you open your diary, we may be able to help. Are you using a food scale to measure your food?
  • lollie1285
    edited May 2020
    Options

With 1,500 and activity you should be seeing some kind of change. I'm wondering if your logging accuracy is the issue and you're inadvertently eating more than you think you are. If you open your diary, we may be able to help. Are you using a food scale to measure your food?

Nope I don’t have a food scale so I just measure with cups and spoons. But getting a scale definitely crossed my mind. I did have a little pizza binge on Tuesday and I’m wondering if my once a week cheat meals (sometimes a cheat day) are fudging me up. I can eat a LOT if I really want to. So it could also be a case of consuming a large quantity of cals one day which can sabotage the whole week. Similar to the graph you posted but never to that extreme or frequency - since at the end od the day I don’t gain, I just maintain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Nope I don’t have a food scale so I just measure with cups and spoons. But getting a scale definitely crossed my mind. I did have a little pizza binge on Tuesday and I’m wondering if my once a week cheat meals (sometimes days) are fudging me up. I can eat a LOT if I really want to. So it could also be a case of consuming a large quantity of cals one day which can sabotage the whole week. Similar to the graph you posted but never to that extreme or frequency.

I found myself cycling through losing and gaining the same five pounds until I got a food scale and improved the accuracy of my logging. Some people make it fine without one, but I wasn't one of those people.

It's absolutely possible for a once-a-week "binge" or cheat meal/day to keep someone from meeting their goal, especially if they are close to goal weight. If you have a relatively small deficit for the week (and that is most of us when we're already close to goal like you are), one big meal can cancel it out and keep you static for the week. I hadn't seen you mention that earlier or I would have brought it up. Let's say your overall deficit is 250 calories a day. It only takes 1,750 calories above your goal on your "cheat day" to cancel out the deficit you spent all week creating. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have too many problems getting 1,750 extra calories in a cheat day (or even a meal -- especially at a restaurant).
  • lollie1285
    Options

Nope I don’t have a food scale so I just measure with cups and spoons. But getting a scale definitely crossed my mind. I did have a little pizza binge on Tuesday and I’m wondering if my once a week cheat meals (sometimes days) are fudging me up. I can eat a LOT if I really want to. So it could also be a case of consuming a large quantity of cals one day which can sabotage the whole week. Similar to the graph you posted but never to that extreme or frequency.

I found myself cycling through losing and gaining the same five pounds until I got a food scale and improved the accuracy of my logging. Some people make it fine without one, but I wasn't one of those people.

It's absolutely possible for a once-a-week "binge" or cheat meal/day to keep someone from meeting their goal, especially if they are close to goal weight. If you have a relatively small deficit for the week (and that is most of us when we're already close to goal like you are), one big meal can cancel it out and keep you static for the week. I hadn't seen you mention that earlier or I would have brought it up. Let's say your overall deficit is 250 calories a day. It only takes 1,750 calories above your goal on your "cheat day" to cancel out the deficit you spent all week creating. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have too many problems getting 1,750 extra calories in a cheat day (or even a meal -- especially at a restaurant).

You got that right! Super easy to do! I didn’t mention it earlier because I didn’t think it was the issue but then like you said, I realized I didn’t have much to go in terms of weight loss and maybe that was one of the issues. It sucks being a foodie sometimes! Just wanna eat all the good stuff that’s out there!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Startb using a weight trend app or web site

Successfully losing at 0.25 to 0.5 lbs a week is often not visible by looking at your scale on a day to day, week to week, or even month to month basis. It requires watching your trend over long periods of time to see...
  • lollie1285
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Startb using a weight trend app or web site

Successfully losing at 0.25 to 0.5 lbs a week is often not visible by looking at your scale on a day to day, week to week, or even month to month basis. It requires watching your trend over long periods of time to see...

Yep, agreed. I usually go by how my clothes feel. And unfortunately because I put on a good amount of muscle but didn’t lose much fat, everything is pretty tight. The muscle part I’m pretty happy about. I wouldn’t care so much what the scale said if I were to see a change in my physique but alas, nothing. I will keep on it.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Given that you really don't have much, if any, weight to lose, you might want to focus on building muscle while maintaining your weight. Are you following a weight program?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sorry. Didn't run your numbers. Just responded to 0.5lbs and seeing scale results.

You're already below BMI 21, the fat % you give is normal for females, recomp vs straight weight loss sounds very reasonable.... I don't know that you would SEE results right away?

What training program are you following?
  • lollie1285
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Given that you really don't have much, if any, weight to lose, you might want to focus on building muscle while maintaining your weight. Are you following a weight program?

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing lately. My last InBody scan showed that my percent body fat dropped from 28.6 to 27.4 BUT my muscle mass also decreased. In the scan prior to this one, muscle mass went up from 46.5 to 50.3 but then dropped to 49.8 (I’m assuming due to a 3 lb weight loss from 129 to 126). So I’m finding it a little hard to balance gaining the muscle and losing the body fat. This scan was done like right before Christmas so it’s not super current. And unfortunately I can’t get a new one since the gym is closed. I know I have to put on muscle but I’m one of those people who have a really hard time. So it’s been quite a challenge for me.

I do bootcamp along with bodyweight cardio classes, kickboxing, and upper/lower body splits. Depends on what my mood is during the week. I should probably be lifting heavier but I don’t have access to the equipment.
  • lollie1285
    edited May 2020
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sorry. Didn't run your numbers. Just responded to 0.5lbs and seeing scale results.

You're already below BMI 21, the fat % you give is normal for females, recomp vs straight weight loss sounds very reasonable.... I don't know that you would SEE results right away?

What training program are you following?

Yep, I think it does need to be recomp vs weight loss. Honestly I am fine with the number on the scale I just don’t want to be so jiggly and bulgy. I’m skinny fat and getting annoyed.

I do Cathe Friedrich workouts. Lots of bootcamps, upper and lower body splits, bodyweight interval training, kickboxing, etc. I usually don’t lift more than 30 lbs - I know heavy weight is important but I don’t have the equipment at home.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing lately. My last InBody scan showed that my percent body fat dropped from 28.6 to 27.4 BUT my muscle mass also decreased. In the scan prior to this one, muscle mass went up from 46.5 to 50.3 but then dropped to 49.8 (I’m assuming due to a 3 lb weight loss from 129 to 126). So I’m finding it a little hard to balance gaining the muscle and losing the body fat. This scan was done like right before Christmas so it’s not super current. And unfortunately I can’t get a new one since the gym is closed. I know I have to put on muscle but I’m one of those people who have a really hard time. So it’s been quite a challenge for me.

I do bootcamp along with bodyweight cardio classes, kickboxing, and upper/lower body splits. Depends on what my mood is during the week. I should probably be lifting heavier but I don’t have access to the equipment.

You may be trusting the InBody scan beyond the level of precision it can deliver in real world conditions. Those are pretty small magnitude changes you're reporting.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding your numbers really confusing. I don't see how your body fat and muscle mass both decrease at (nearly) constant body weight. That's why I'm wondering if measurement precision is a factor.

Over what period of time did you see those numbers from Inbody, and could you post up a clear set of (date, BF%, muscle mass %, bodyweight) so we can see the numbers and the timing?

As far as calorie goal: Did you correctly set your activity level in your MFP profile, i.e., set it based on daily life activity before exercise?

How long have you been counting calories with MFP? (I know you aren't counting the cheat meals/days, which is a problem, but I'm trying to understand the time-scales here overall.)

How long, specifically, have you been at the same weight?

Assuming you're set up correctly, and MFP gave you a calorie goal of 1350 to lose 0.5 pounds a week (which would be a sensible rate at your current size), it thinks your maintenance calories before exercise are 1600 daily, and you would maintain your weight if you ate 1600 + exercise.

I'm also curious about this: If you're eating 1450-1500 now without restricting, it's unclear to me why eating 1350 (about 100 fewer calories) sounds so low, to the point you'd be starving? That's like one tablespoon of peanut butter difference.

I guess it's possible that the calories you add via your cheat meals/days are balancing out the calories you don't eat from your exercise activity, more or less, if your weight is holding steady over more than a short time period. (PAV is right: It will take many weeks for 0.5 pound/week weight loss to show up on the scale, amongst fluctuations . . . and that's even with a weight trending app.)

(FWIW, I'm 5'5", probably mid-20s BF%, and just a few pound heavier that you are at around 131lbs, with a narrow build myself, plus a tendency toward below-ribcage storage of the last bits of fat, so we're probably not wildly dissimilar physically. And I've been losing at around that 0.5 lbs/week - sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more - for the last few months, although I consider myself overall in maintenance. You're - I suspect - way younger than I am, though: I'm 64.)

Might have more/better ideas, if you can provide a little more clear data.

Meantime, maybe log your cheat days/meals, even if you have to estimate? That would give you better data and insight.

Best wishes!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Unless you can guarantee the exact same amount of exercise, sodium, phase of hormonal cycle, amount and types of fluid and food consumed, same amount of alimentary canal and bladder contents, etc, within the 24-48 hours leading to the scan, your results are WELL within error not just for bio-impedence but for most other fat and lean mass estimation.

If losing weight it is expected that some loss will be from fat and some from lean mass. But some adjustments may also take a lot of time to happen (not a couple of months)

I would think we need some comments as to whether the chosen exercise options are the most effective for the stated goals. 🤷‍♂️