Disappointed in my measurements

Options
Stats:
5’3.5” F
SW: 179
CW: 156.8
GW: 125

So just a little background, after my first kid I weight about 176 after and I did beach body 80 day obsession. I lost about 23lbs and 20 inches overall. I was happy with that.

This time after my 2nd I decided to do keto. I did keto for 10 weeks and lost about 18lbs but I got the “keto rash” and was getting my period every 2 weeks and I just decided to move to low carb and have been doing that for two weeks. Both scenarios I practiced CICO.

I made the mistake of not taking my initial measurements and maybe that would have made me feel better. But right now I’m 12 weeks into dieting/exercise and have lost a little over 22lbs and so far I’m showing a loss of 9.3 inches overall. I didn’t start taking measurements until 1 month after I started (so I started Feb 10 and my first measurement was on March 9)

Not only am I discouraged by the literal half amount of inches lost but same weight as my first go around, but I’m also really disappointed in where I seem to have lost it. I’ve lost:

Waist- 1.3
Chest- 2
Hips- 3
Legs (thighs)- 3
Arms- ZERO

What can I do? Is my perception skewed because I didn’t take initial measurements? Is it possible to lose so little inches but so much weight? Or am I losing in places I’m not measuring?

Replies

• AliciaPigon
    AliciaPigon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m not disappointed in the weight loss, I am disappointed in my inches overall so far. But I plan on adding strength training this week
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes your loss seems to be going comparatively quickly.

I think it's quite possible that you lost a lot of inches in your first month before you started measuring. I know when I start a new routine and WOE, I definitely drop more inches at the beginning. Is there maybe before pictures you can compare or some item of clothes that you can feel the difference in?

Overall though, I think it's counterproductive to have specific numbers and time frames in mind. Realistically our bodies react different over time and it's maybe better to focus on the progress you've made instead of what you didn't get to.

• AliciaPigon
    AliciaPigon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my thought too the more I think about it. That I did lose a lot in the beginning that I didn’t account for. Clothes are fitting different so that’s good! I do have pictures but I don’t see the difference. I’m going to take pictures in pants that I want to get back into to use as progress pictures. Hopefully that will give me more of an idea of how I’m changing visually
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Great idea! The numbers can me misleading sometimes so just keep going!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I’m not disappointed in the weight loss, I am disappointed in my inches overall so far. But I plan on adding strength training this week

Honestly, you are only 12 weeks in and you have done great with both weight and inches. You might want to take a look at your expectations because they may not be realistic.