Premium ?

Options
jewel565
jewel565 Posts: 2 Member
Just curious if you are using the premium membership and what you like about it?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    I don't see a single reason for using it. The database is the same *kitten* database, and the website isn't running more stable either.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I had it for a year. I've used MFP free for a few years, then the premium for a year and back to free for the last year.

It's a little more convenient, but functionality remains pretty much the same. It was nice to be able to set actual grams for your macronutrient goals, instead of %. If I recall correctly it displays the useful information like calories and macros per meal and daily totals up front instead of hiding it behind a few clicks or screen rotation, but nothing major. It's also very expensive for what you get. There's not really added value, instead they basically added clicks to the free version to make it more cumbersome and less user friendly hoping to make the premium feel worth while.

I find the website version to be the best set up. It displays your totals at the bottom so it's super quick to set up your day. But you can't add exercise calories from the website. I set up my week on the website, then only use the app to add exercise calories or make quick adjustments to my food.

If it were cheaper I'd get it just for the convenience, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 a year for it. Last I checked it was something crazy like $50. You can accomplish everything you need on the free version, but if you feel like $50 a year is fine for a more streamlined user friendly experience with a little less hassle, try the premium.
  • MommaWoo2015
    MommaWoo2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am post-bariatric surgery, so I subscribe because there are certain macros I need to hit and using a percentage doesn't cut it. It's like $5 a month, so it's not too strenuous.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was using the free version for 5+ years. It did everything I wanted it to. I was able to lose weight. I recently upgraded to premium because I wanted to track my macros by weight instead of percentages. There are certain features that are nice but not something I would've specifically paid for.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am going to get it next week so i can export all my data to excel. trying to see if i should up calories more :) but then i will get off the free trial.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you go into settings, you'll see which ones require Premium to change... they may or may not be ones that are useful to you. I like being able to set minimum macros by weight and add exercise calories 100% to carbs (to not change my daily protein, fat minimums), with custom dashboard set to show remaining fat, protein, fiber versus my specified minimums.