Anyone else set their weight loss rate at 0.5 lb a week?

Options
At this rate it will take me approx 5 months to reach my goal weight :laugh: How about you?

Replies

• cameralinds
    Options
    I also have mine set to half a pound per week. Of course, I am short just like you are, and I also have a smaller weight loss goal than most people.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've lost 12 lbs since May and am pretty darn happy about that. I eat a LOT. I actually just upped my activity level too. Only 4 pounds to go actually. It's taken me 14 month to lose 29 pounds (but I've only been on MFP consistently since June).
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I set mine for 1.5 lb/ wk, but I have more to lose than you, and less patience. I can't argue with your success thus far, so do whatever you're comfortable with.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    When you're close to your goal weight that's what happens. When I started it was easy to lose 2lbs a week (or more) but in a year it's still averaged out to 1.3lbs a week for the first year. I'm pretty sure the last 10-15lbs are going to take me 6 months or more, plus I'm doing more strength training now so it comes off slower but I'm still dropping sizes!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    oops sorry double post
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    with the diet I am on and exercise I have averaged about 2 lbs. a week. But I have a lot of weight to lose, I lost 15.4 lbs last month! Good luck everyone!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Im at .5 , I have already spent the last 6 months not losing, so whats another 5. I am upping my calories from 1200 to 1600, I am hoping it starts to work soon. At least I know now that I can maintain.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Me! To lose 0.5 lb a week I get a calories allowance of 1330 calories.

I was having 1200 cals and was losing about 0.6 a week, sometimes a bit more (1 lb) or less (0.2 lb) or gaining or seeing no change :/

I recently changed it to 0.5 lb/ week and see how it goes :)
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love having the freedom to eat more. I don't care if it takes me 5 months or 7 months, because there is no finish line. I still have to be mindful of what I eat and keep my workout routine going to maintain that new weight.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    yep--I only have about 5-8 pounds to reach my goal though. And 1/2 pound a week gives me more calories to eat :)
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've just changed from one to half, today. I've lost 5kg/11lb in the month or so since I started and had decided I'd make a change at 5kg lost for a while to give my body a change, then back to 1lb a week, then at 10kg lost I will have under 10kg to go, so will change it back to half for the rest of the way.

I was originally planning to change it, then as I got closer I wasn't going to change it but I've noticed the weight loss has leveled out and don't know if it's a "plateau" proper or not, but decided to go back to my original plan.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at a little bit more then half a pound a week.. but I'm working towards half a pound a week.

I only have 5 pounds left till I re-assess and see if I want to lose more or less... and currently, since I want to eat everything in sight, that 5 pounds may take a bit!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I set mine to .5 lbs last week while on vacation and I didn't do too bad. I exercised quite a bit but I ate everything in sight. I was up a couple of lbs when I came back but it was mostly water. I'm back to 1.5/week right now but I'm thinking about dropping it in a week or two.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I had my original goal at 2lbs and the more weight I lost the lower I put it. I hit an evil plateau a 1-2 months back and lowered it to help. It didn't start budging again until I lowered it to .5 a week.

I have increased the duration and intensity of my workouts and before I lowered it I was exhausted all the time and just felt like I was being drained. Now that I can actually eat the weight has started to come off and I feel 1000% better.

I only have 15lbs to go also, I don't know if that makes a lot of difference or not. :D
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not I want more weight loss per week, my body seems to think 0.5 lbs is what it's going to stick with. :grumble:

But hey! I'm just thrilled I'm losing anything at all!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My goal is at 2lbs per week, but my body loses .5.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I never had a lot to lose but when I first started, I had it set to one pound per week (1200 calories). As I got closer to my goal weight, I actually had to lower it to .05 (1350 calories). I feel pretty good, I've lost 19 pounds in about four months. I look totally different now and people have noticed, and all of my old clothes just hang on me now. I feel better than I have in years and I'm running faster and easier than I used to!! :bigsmile:
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I did as I got closer to my goal weight and it helped because I don't think I was eating enough calories anyway. Some days I would eat around my 1500 goal and my body bugg would tell me I burned over 3000 calories in the day! That is a really big deficit and I think closing the gap helped me lose the extra weight.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just keep adding calories, and it tells me how much I will lose based on the calcs. I think its around 0.7 per week but I'm not positive what my goal is right now. I'm planning to tweak it down from 1580 to 1400-1500 and cut out the alcohol in October. Then probably go back to what I'm doing today. I'm looking to lose 10-15 max from here. Maybe get 5 of those before Turkey day. Get the rest before tax day 2012.