With the picture shown how many calories would you estimate are in this meal

Options
So just like when you eat out, you don’t always know the exact amount of calories/kilojoules in a meal, if it’s not available.
I don’t know how many would be in this pork roast dinner I had tonight, but thought I’d see what others would estimate.
Pork was oven baked, all the veg (peas, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, Brussels) were boiled. Potato was mashed with marg & milk (not sure what milk)
Also I had a bit of pork crackle lol

Replies

• petrinaradford
    petrinaradford Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    9wd9t45uxt8m.jpeg
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar for my evening meal except I'm having carrot and sweede mash and Yorkshire puds and it's coming in just under 1k for the meal
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    700? Hard to say without weighing the meat and potatoes. Was the gravy made with granules or meat juices etc?
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    I'm having similar for my evening meal except I'm having carrot and sweede mash and Yorkshire puds and it's coming in just under 1k for the meal

So 1k, what’s that in calories or kilojoules?

• angelsja
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

So 1k, what’s that in calories or kilojoules?

1k is 1 thousand calories
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    700? Hard to say without weighing the meat and potatoes. Was the gravy made with granules or meat juices etc?

Yeah it could be, I expected it to be high, so saved up a bit. If it’s all my own cooking/serving, I’d use kitchen scales etc...
    The gravy was just instant, where it’s in a tin, just powder and add hot water. No meat juices added.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    The biggest calorie bomb is going to be the meat, and I can't really tell by the picture how much there is on that plate, but I'd guess around 700-800 if that meat is about 3-4 ounces.
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    The biggest calorie bomb is going to be the meat, and I can't really tell by the picture how much there is on that plate, but I'd guess around 700-800 if that meat is about 3-4 ounces.

Yeah I agree. Pork is lean though isn’t it? Obviously not the crackle.

• angelsja
    Options

Yeah I agree. Pork is lean though isn’t it? Obviously not the crackle.

Approximately 200cals for 100g of pork
  • hexxennacht
    hexxennacht Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I disagree that the biggest calorie bomb is the meat. Potatoes on their own are fairly low calorie, but they usually have tons of butter and cream in them. They can get incredibly high calorie.
  • quietriver
    quietriver Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    An easy 1k calories better to over estimate incase there's butter in everything. Was it good? Mummm!
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    quietriver wrote: »
    An easy 1k calories better to over estimate incase there's butter in everything. Was it good? Mummm!

Yeah I’d rather over estimate. Yes it was so good 😊 I stuck to low calorie breakfast & lunch (Weight loss shaked) so that I could have that for dinner.

• quietriver
    quietriver Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    quietriver wrote: »

Yeah I’d rather over estimate. Yes it was so good 😊 I stuck to low calorie breakfast & lunch (Weight loss shaked) so that I could have that for dinner.

Then you'll be fine. :)